Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Death and credit cards.

tag
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

Death and credit cards.

Leave it to me to bring a morbid question to the forums and sorry if I offend anyone for it being so long.

Never really gave any thought to it until today when I was talking to a friend of mine whos Dad died last year. He was telling me about having to call the companies and close the accounts down. He was surprised to find out Discover was the only one who had found out and closed the account even before calling them. All the rest were still open till he made the call which was about 3 or 4 days after the death.

He was cleaning out the old homestead last week and came upon two other cards in a bottom drawer, so he called to make sure they were closed. He found out they were still open after almost a year later, so he explained the situation and they were closed. Luckily, he is the only remaining family member and the house was well secured, so there was no concern.

What I am wondering, in my situation, getting older and not in great health, single with no family living, and really no one to depend on except for a few close friends who have agreed to take care of my burial, what could happen if my cards aren't canceled? Anyone who would get ahold of them could use them, of course it's fraud, but to a thief, they don't care. Is there a service or something that can take care of closing them upon my death? Any ideas would be appreciated as now I am concerned. I always thought the companies were notified by Social Security.

Thanks for the listening ear!

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Death and credit cards.

@Benzman wrote:

Leave it to me to bring a morbid question to the forums and sorry if I offend anyone for it being so long.

Never really gave any thought to it until today when I was talking to a friend of mine whos Dad died last year. He was telling me about having to call the companies and close the accounts down. He was surprised to find out Discover was the only one who had found out and closed the account even before calling them. All the rest were still open till he made the call which was about 3 or 4 days after the death.

He was cleaning out the old homestead last week and came upon two other cards in a bottom drawer, so he called to make sure they were closed. He found out they were still open after almost a year later, so he explained the situation and they were closed. Luckily, he is the only remaining family member and the house was well secured, so there was no concern.

What I am wondering, in my situation, getting older and not in great health, single with no family living, and really no one to depend on except for a few close friends who have agreed to take care of my burial, what could happen if my cards aren't canceled? Anyone who would get ahold of them could use them, of course it's fraud, but to a thief, they don't care. Is there a service or something that can take care of closing them upon my death? Any ideas would be appreciated as now I am concerned. I always thought the companies were notified by Social Security.

Thanks for the listening ear!

If I were you, I wouldn't be too concerned with this. It's the last thing you need to worried about. Everything will take care of itself so enjoy what you have now and forgetaboutit. Just my .02 and I hope I didn't offend you in anyway Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be totally honest with you... if you check out, regardless of what you believe happens after this life - why in the world would it matter to you what happens with your old credit cards at that point?

If there's an afterlife, you're still not here to care about those credit cards.

If you are reincarnated or reborn, you're still not here to care about those credit cards.

If there is nothing after this life, you won't exist to care about those credit cards.

In other words... don't worry about it Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

When you pass away as soon as the government is notified the Social Security 'Death Master File' is updated and your social security number is 'noted' as belonging to someone who is deceased.  This is how some banks will be aware of a death even before being notified by next-of-kin.

Here's the wiki article on it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Master_File

I'll also add that if somebody makes a typo when entering information about a decedent it can be a real headache if the mis-typed number belongs to someone still living.  This actually happened to my own father a while back.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 16
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

I know I shouldn't worry, but it has had me thinking constantly since the discussion with my friend. Like UncleB said and what I originally thought, Social Security would notify them, but as in the situation with my friends dad, no companies closed except for Discover until the call was made to all. I would hate to think someone out there could go an use my cards and rack up debt in my name after I am dead.

I know, i'm stupid. Smiley Indifferent

I actually started weeding some cards tonight that I don't use often.

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I'd be burning in hell; so, it would be the least of my concerns. But, to be fair, I always keep a PIF profile so, if I owe anything, it would be my recurring Netflix subscription. 

Message 6 of 16
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know I'd be burning in hell; so, it would be the least of my concerns. But, to be fair, I always keep a PIF profile so, if I owe anything, it would be my recurring Netflix subscription. 

I PIF as well all my cards. It would be the people who stole or using my cards after I die that would be racking up debt that concerns me.

BTW, hopefully you will not be burning in hell.

Message 7 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your post is humorous, but it actually raises a good point... in my own case, I have several recurring charges as well that would likely continue until the card was cut off, which could be a month or two (since the bill woudln't be paid).

There was a case a while back (I think in France?) where an old person passed away and nobody realized it for months.  Their pension was direct deposited, and all their bills were auto-paid from the bank account.  Under the right circumstances and with everything automated it's easy to see how this might be possible.

Message 8 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Benzman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I PIF as well all my cards. It would be the people who stole or using my cards after I die that would be racking up debt that concerns me.

Don't lose too much sleep over it... the banks have all of this figured in to the fees we're charged.  They wouldn't be doing it if they weren't making money.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Benzman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't lose too much sleep over it... the banks have all of this figured in to the fees we're charged.  They wouldn't be doing it if they weren't making money.  Smiley Wink

I know right...why else are they giving us 2-3% cash back and charging us 15+ percent in interest. Doesn't take much to figure that part out. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.