cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciding if Citi Double Cash is worth it, or what card instead?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Deciding if Citi Double Cash is worth it, or what card instead?

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I could use some input on whether the Citi Double Cash is a good idea for me, or just an itchy trigger finger impulse! I want to apply for something else before my 2 new Amex cards report and tank my AAoA, and I can't decide if the Double Cash is my best bet.

Current cards and CLs are in my signature (though Discover is still reporting my old limit of $6,000 instead of $10,500). I'd rather not apply for anything with a bonus that requires over $500 spend or an AF right now, unless it has an AF but can be easily PCed to something else worthwhile with no fee. Double Cash would be a slight advantage over my current catch-all spend card for things that don't fall into a bonus category, but it's only a .35% difference (Travel Rewards effectively gives me 1.65% cashback). I'm torn between trying for the Double Cash or looking for something that's likely to give me a high SL, since it seems like another card with a higher limit would be a nice addition to my file long-term Smiley Frustrated I'm also seeing mixed things online about the Double Cash interface being frustrating/sometimes not actually giving 2% if you're someone who often PIFs before statement close (which I am), which makes it more complicated.

TU is 765, other scores likely around the same. Currently only one inquiry on each report.

I have the card and I don't recommend it.

1. It usually gives low starting credit limits.

2. It's usually not very generous about increasing limits.

3. In the 10 or 11 months I've had it, there has been no soft pull CLI offer.

4. It has had no balance transfer capability since the first month.

5. There is a 1-month delay in getting your first of the two reward points.

6. There is a 2-month delay in getting the second of the two reward points.

7. You can't redeem your rewards until you have $25 worth.

For my money the Quicksilver is a much better card. Even the Barclay Rewards card is better, in terms of purchases and rewards.

I disagree on points 1>4

I received a 6k starting limit on this card which is not bad.  I took additional HP after 40 days and was increased to 15k which is what I asked for I probably should have asked for higher.  They have a 6 mo between increase policy but immediately after the 6mo lapsed I hit luv button online and received sp cli 1700 to 16.7K.  Regarding BT the first offer was great 0% for 15 months (3% fee) but this also included direct deposit BT which is really nice.  I've had another offer since then and currently have a BT offer for 3% fee and 3.99%apr for 12 I think.  Granted not a knock your socks off offer but including direct deposit.. it's pretty good.

Price rewind feature, WMC, 2% general spend, decent customer service when I've called.  You do have to wait until statement for the points, or two statements for half of it if you don't PIF before cut, and the redemption threshold is high at $25 so the card has some drawbacks but overall I've found it to be an excellent credit product.

I disagree on points 1-4 as well.

Points 1-3 are much more attributable to the applicant/borrower than they are to the card itself. I've even been able to get simultaneous SP increases on a few of my Citi cards at once upon 6 months elapsing. As for number 4, my DC came with 0% for 18 months, and the current public offer is 0% for 15 months for transfers completed within the first 4 months. All of my Citi cards get frequent BT offers after the initial offer. While I certainly understand points 5-7, I personally don't believe that the instant gratification of the QS's reward structure is worth the .5% penalty on every-single-purchase. The most rewarding credit cards in general have a delay in receiving rewards, so I would have a hard time holding it against the DC. The card isn't for everyone, but I believe that it holds its own against the competition quite well since very few have offered an uncategorized 2% CB product with no AF. 

On an unrelated note, I really don't think that the QS's SLs are all that high either. I believe that it would quite erroneous for one to associate the Venture's anomalous and unusually high limits with the rest of Capital One's products. 

+1 my POV as well.  Points 1-4 were no issues IME.

Message 31 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I could use some input on whether the Citi Double Cash is a good idea for me, or just an itchy trigger finger impulse! I want to apply for something else before my 2 new Amex cards report and tank my AAoA, and I can't decide if the Double Cash is my best bet.

Current cards and CLs are in my signature (though Discover is still reporting my old limit of $6,000 instead of $10,500). I'd rather not apply for anything with a bonus that requires over $500 spend or an AF right now, unless it has an AF but can be easily PCed to something else worthwhile with no fee. Double Cash would be a slight advantage over my current catch-all spend card for things that don't fall into a bonus category, but it's only a .35% difference (Travel Rewards effectively gives me 1.65% cashback). I'm torn between trying for the Double Cash or looking for something that's likely to give me a high SL, since it seems like another card with a higher limit would be a nice addition to my file long-term Smiley Frustrated I'm also seeing mixed things online about the Double Cash interface being frustrating/sometimes not actually giving 2% if you're someone who often PIFs before statement close (which I am), which makes it more complicated.

TU is 765, other scores likely around the same. Currently only one inquiry on each report.

For my money the Quicksilver is a much better card. Even the Barclay Rewards card is better, in terms of purchases and rewards.

I disagree on points 1>4

I received a 6k starting limit on this card which is not bad.  I took additional HP after 40 days and was increased to 15k which is what I asked for I probably should have asked for higher.  They have a 6 mo between increase policy but immediately after the 6mo lapsed I hit luv button online and received sp cli 1700 to 16.7K.  Regarding BT the first offer was great 0% for 15 months (3% fee) but this also included direct deposit BT which is really nice.  I've had another offer since then and currently have a BT offer for 3% fee and 3.99%apr for 12 I think.  Granted not a knock your socks off offer but including direct deposit.. it's pretty good.

Price rewind feature, WMC, 2% general spend, decent customer service when I've called.  You do have to wait until statement for the points, or two statements for half of it if you don't PIF before cut, and the redemption threshold is high at $25 so the card has some drawbacks but overall I've found it to be an excellent credit product.

Well said!

Message 32 of 48
fot1
Established Contributor

I have both QS and DC.. I have had the QS for 3 years or so.. hit luv button all the time, and even went through EO    My six month old DC  with one SP CLI is already a higher limit..

Too many to list..
Message 33 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I disagree on points 1>4

I disagree on points 1-4 as well.

Points 1-3 are much more attributable to the applicant/borrower than they are to the card itself. I've even been able to get simultaneous SP increases on a few of my Citi cards at once upon 6 months elapsing. As for number 4, my DC came with 0% for 18 months, and the current public offer is 0% for 15 months for transfers completed within the first 4 months. All of my Citi cards get frequent BT offers after the initial offer. While I certainly understand points 5-7, I personally don't believe that the instant gratification of the QS's reward structure is worth the .5% penalty on every-single-purchase. The most rewarding credit cards in general have a delay in receiving rewards, so I would have a hard time holding it against the DC. The card isn't for everyone, but I believe that it holds its own against the competition quite well since very few have offered an uncategorized 2% CB product with no AF. 

On an unrelated note, I really don't think that the QS's SLs are all that high either. I believe that it would quite erroneous for one to associate the Venture's anomalous and unusually high limits with the rest of Capital One's products. 

+1 my POV as well.  Points 1-4 were no issues IME.

Ditto! My Double Cash is my go to card for all noncategory spend. It gets a lot of use in our house. I don't have any problems meeting the minimum redemption requirement. I also have the Cap1 QS that I don't use because of the high interest rate. I got my DC when Citi was still doing the double pulls for approval. I'm not sure if they are still doing it. For me, it was worth it. Best of luck to you OP!Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lots of good information and perspectives here, thanks again everyone.

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for all the input so far! One thing I should have been more specific about--at this moment I'm primarily looking for whatever will be the best card in terms of bolstering my credit file and keeping long-term, not bonus. I'm currently putting everything towards minimum spend for the 2 Amex bonuses, so I'm looking to stick with cards where the bonus spend is low or cards like the Double Cash that never/very rarely offer a bonus.

The bonus can have a factor in a long-term decision.   For example, if you think it would take a significant amount of time to put $20K worth of spend through the DC, then QS would be a better option (at least until you hit that point).   Of course, if you won't reach the bonus spend in the alloted amoutn of time, this is a moot point.  

My pros and cons for each card:

Citi DC

Pros--Higher cashback rate, better frontline CSRs, longer 0% intro period (15 months), easier to obtain lower APR, free EQ FICO score, MC accepted at Sam's Club

Cons--Rewards redemption threshold of $25, rewards don't post until statement close, rewards dependent on purchases and payment, (generally) low SLs that often require 2nd HP to get a usable CL, website is frequently down, World MCs don't have true "World" benefits

Cap One QS

Pros--Good bonus ($100) can offset lower cashback rate up to $20K of spend, rewards based on purchases only and post quickly, no rewards redemption threshold, higher SLs, good website and smartphone app, HPs generally not needed for account actions (CLIs, PCs, etc), no FTF, Visa will be accepted at Costco, Visa Signature benefits. 

Cons--all CRs pulled to open account, difficult to lower APRs, short 0% intro period (9 months), mediocre CSRs, lower cashback rate

Good point re: the impact of bonuses on long-term rewards impact... that's the reason I passed on the Double Cash the last time I was making this decision and went with the Travel Rewards, because the $200 bonus made up for the .35% cashback difference until past $57,000 spend. Thanks for the detailed pros vs. cons! I drew up a similar list, except it's DC vs. Travel Rewards vs. QS:

Citi DC

Pros: EQ FICO, Price Rewind, card with good long-term use potential to eventually bolster AAoA, highest cashback percentage, soiid CS reputation

Cons: No bonus, $25 redemption threshold is worse than QS (but the same as current cards), HP and another new account, 3% FTF

BoA Travel Rewards

Pros: Already have the card, no HP or additional hit to AAoA, higher cashback than the QS, rewards percentage increases if I move more assets to BoA accounts in the future (not super likely, but not impossible), no FTF

Cons: Not technically a cashback card (it effectively is now, but that could be an issue if my "travel" spending shifted dramatically), rewards percentage falls to 1.5% if I close my BoA checking account. lower cashback than the DC, also has a $25 redemption threshold, no SP CLIs

QS

Pros: $100 bonus, seems to generally have higher SLs  than DC (though not always), no redemption minimum, no FTF

Cons: Triple pull, lowest cashback percentage of the three options, worse CS reputation

I'm leaning towards going for the DC at this point--on top of having the highest cashback percentage, the side benefits like another free FICO score and price rewind seem far more worth it than a small bonus (and triple pull) right now. Everyone's input was really helpful!

Message 35 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am very grateful for this thread. The DC was my unicorn card that I had been planning to app for next summer. After reading all of this, I realize the small benefit that the DC would be over my curret cards. I'm going to skip the DC and use my QS for non category spend. I'll save the hard pull so that I can have no inquiries by the time I am ready to apply for a mortgage. I can always get the DC after a house if it is still around.

Message 36 of 48
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am very grateful for this thread. The DC was my unicorn card that I had been planning to app for next summer. After reading all of this, I realize the small benefit that the DC would be over my curret cards. I'm going to skip the DC and use my QS for non category spend. I'll save the hard pull so that I can have no inquiries by the time I am ready to apply for a mortgage. I can always get the DC after a house if it is still around.

In my view, most people overestimate the usefulness of the 2%+ general spend cashback cards.  Unless a person spends a significant portion of non-category spend, 2% cashback, especially when contrasted with the 1.5% QS, offers a very marginal benefit.  Moreover, as has been pointed out, it would require $20K just for the DC to breakeven with the QS with $100 bonus.

Think about that for one second.  $20,000 in non-category spend.

Message 37 of 48
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Here's a new entry into the 2% cash back card, from FNBO:

https://www.firstnational.com/dynapp/dynamic.app

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 38 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: went ahead and applied for the Double Cash... approved, with a $6,000 CL! They pulled EQ, which was 770. APR of 18.99%.

I think it'll be a good one to have long-term (assuming it sticks around), and I'm anticipating an unusual amount of non-category spend in the next year, so I'm happy with the idea of maximizing those rewards. Plus the EQ FICO score will be nice to have, and now I can hit the garden for a bit without any nagging what-ifs Smiley Happy And my BoA Travel Rewards will still be very useful when I'm traveling internationally, so it won't get entirely relegated to the sock drawer.

Thanks again to everyone for weighing in, the perspectives from people who have or have considered the DC (and QS) were extremely helpful! I'll make a separate thread in the approvals section so I'm not clogging things up on this board, but figured I'd leave an update.

Message 39 of 48
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approval!

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.