Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card charged interest on new card for purchases balance

tag
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

Discover card charged interest on new card for purchases balance

Hello Team,

I got a new discover IT card on Nov,2014 for 6.5k credit limit. I used for close to 4.5k during thanksgiving. right from the first cut statement i m paying more than the min balance amount, say $800 monthly. right now i have a balance of $1200 on my card.

I didnt noticed the statements for last 4 months. when i checked yesterday, i saw they have put some interest charges on balance amount on purchases made from Jan,feb,mar,april statements.

Questions

1)Its a new card with 14 months 0% apr on purchases(so technically my 14 months period would be somewhere ends in 2016). why am i charged interest for 2nd month onwards?

2)if i talk to discover, will they revert those interest charges now?

4/2024 FICO TU-840|EX - 838|EQ -840
Total Credit - $535K+
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 840
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover card charged interest on new card for purchases balance

@googlre10 wrote:

Hello Team,

I got a new discover IT card on Nov,2014 for 6.5k credit limit. I used for close to 4.5k during thanksgiving. right from the first cut statement i m paying more than the min balance amount, say $800 monthly. right now i have a balance of $1200 on my card.

I didnt noticed the statements for last 4 months. when i checked yesterday, i saw they have put some interest charges on balance amount on purchases made from Jan,feb,mar,april statements.

Questions

1)Its a new card with 14 months 0% apr on purchases(so technically my 14 months period would be somewhere ends in 2016). why am i charged interest for 2nd month onwards?

Call them. It's probably a tech glitch.

Message 2 of 6
uswala
Senior Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@googlre10 wrote:

Hello Team,

Questions

Call them. It's probably a tech glitch.

+1.

Yup, you should not get any interest in the promotion period.

Message 3 of 6
Boragard
Established Contributor

You better be sure that your Discover card does indeed have a zero percent APR, Discover is known for the bait and switch.  When I was approved they stated I was approved but not for the 14 mos no interest.  I called them last month and inquired about 0% APR for a year since I've never had any promotional interest and was finally approved for it.    So check!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are indeed within an intro 0% APR period then yeah, they should give you an account credit.  However, sometimes Discover will approve with different terms from their main offer (some people are offered a shorter intro APR period or a reduced but not 0% APR period, while others are not given an intro APR at all)  Cash advances usually don't count for intro APRs, and balance transfers may have different APR terms..  It should be on your paperwork that came with the card.

Message 5 of 6
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

thanks to all.

i sent a secure email to them about the issue. i need to call and check with them in a day or two.

4/2024 FICO TU-840|EX - 838|EQ -840
Total Credit - $535K+
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 840
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.