Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Current Credit Limit Amount Affect New Accounts

tag
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Does Current Credit Limit Amount Affect New Accounts

Yes, experience with higher limits is definitely a factor.  This is expecially true if you get a manual review I believe.

Message 11 of 12
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Re: Does Current Credit Limit Amount Affect New Accounts

I really don’t think so OP. After the last few days I’ve had, I’m starting to think that the UW are sitting in a room with a dart board and figuring out approval/denials and limits that way.

Over the Holiday weekend, I did a app spree because I was hoping to get my TCL up so that I could take full advantage of rewards on a couple of new cards that I had without causing a Util % over 5%. At the time of my spree, I had four cards, with three reporting immediately (my Rakuten Rewards card still hasn’t reported). With the three reporting, I had a TCL of $2800. I was approved for a Discover it card with a CL of $3500. Since this would only slightly improve my Util %, I continued applying. Much to my surprise, I was approved for both QS and V with CLs of $10k and $20k respectively. And this was prior to Discover reporting, so my TCL at the time of approval was $2800. This was also after three denials from other CCCs. I have no idea why Cap1 thought I was worthy of such a CL, and for awhile, I thought they would send me an update and say something along the lines of ‘after further review, we’ve adjusted your CL.’ I received my “Welcome” emails yesterday with the same limits, so I think I’m in the clear. Today, I contacted Discover to see if I could get a CLI because I feel that my income($100+k), credit score (698, not great I know) and payment history (100%) certainly support it and was denied. I was told to check back in 3mths.

Add that to my three denials. One being for a BofA card. I recon yesterday because I thought it was odd that I was declined considering I had a card (and several accounts) with them before, all closed in good standing. The woman I spoke to was extremely nice, but she upheld the denial. After being denied for the CTY card, I checked out reviews on the card (on Amazon) and saw several people complaining of denials even though they have perfect credit and no derogatory issues on their CRs.

So, from my recent experience, I don’t believe there is much rhyme or reason to what the CCCs do.

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.