cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Premier (Insert multiple explitives here)

tag
ChuckG
Regular Contributor

First Premier (Insert multiple explitives here)

(RANT)
I recently used two of my balance transfer checks from my new (REAL) credit card to pay the balances on my 2 rebuilder cards (Applied Bank, First Premier) down to 0.

Turns out FP accepted my check, then 4 days later decided to send it back. AND added a returned check fee of $25 which puts me over my limit with them. It wasn't returned due to insufficient funds or any problems from the account it came from, no, they just decided they didn't want to take it because it was quote "a 3rd party check"... They only accept checks that come directly from my checking account. WTF is this? How can a CC company give you "BALANCE TRANSFER CHECKS" that will get rejected by the CC that you use them with?

I was going to keep FP for at least a year, but no way now, I'm paying them off and closing that one out as soon as the payment goes through.
(/RANT)

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672, 681, 692
Goal Score: 700, 700, 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Re: First Premier (Insert multiple explitives here)

FP is freaky like that.  I closed mine 2 months ago.  They kept sending me offers for a "2nd" card but when I called for a CLI on the one I had they said no.....lol.  They wanted to hook me up with a fresh basket of FEES! 
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

good to know, I was just thinking about doing a BT on my FP cards
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a valid negotiable instrument- 

I would demand they waive the fees-
Is this in your account disclosure?

I would contact your "new" company and see if they can help-

ChuckG wrote:
(RANT)
I recently used two of my balance transfer checks from my new (REAL) credit card to pay the balances on my 2 rebuilder cards (Applied Bank, First Premier) down to 0.

Turns out FP accepted my check, then 4 days later decided to send it back. AND added a returned check fee of $25 which puts me over my limit with them. It wasn't returned due to insufficient funds or any problems from the account it came from, no, they just decided they didn't want to take it because it was quote "a 3rd party check"... They only accept checks that come directly from my checking account. WTF is this? How can a CC company give you "BALANCE TRANSFER CHECKS" that will get rejected by the CC that you use them with?

I was going to keep FP for at least a year, but no way now, I'm paying them off and closing that one out as soon as the payment goes through.
(/RANT)

Message 4 of 14
ChuckG
Regular Contributor

Just checked the initial disclosure statement:

Payments must be made by check or other negotiable instrument in US Dollars payable to First PREMIER Bank to the address specified on your Statement. All checks or negotiable instruments must be drawn on a U.S. bank or at a U.S. branch of a foreign bank. Payment made through the mail in the form of cash or third-party checks may not be accepted.

The check came from my Credit Union Rewards Visa, and the check has my name and address in the upper left hand corner. I'm not sure how this could be considered a third party check.

Message 5 of 14
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

The $25 fee put you over the limit?  Sounds like you overdid it to begin with.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 14
ChuckG
Regular Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:
The $25 fee put you over the limit? Sounds like you overdid it to begin with.

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom.

If you want to know how I got to be within $25 of my $250 limit, it's because before I realized that this was a card that would go no where, I talked to a customer service rep and told them that I already had cards with credit limits of $11k, and $4k and would like to know if I could get a decent credit limit on this card, and the monthly maintenance fees waived, otherwise I'd be closing it. The rep told me that they didn't see enough activity on my card, so for 3 months I'd charge ~220-240 to my FP card instead of one of my other cards and always pay the balance in full.

This month, instead of paying it in full with my checking account, I decided to do a balance transfer with a new card so that I could create some activity on that one right away.

Thanks for your amazing insight though.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Chuck - don't get hooked by others perceived negativity.  

I am glad you have other prime cards and can cancel them.  It is obviously they are not consumer friendly. I agree with Timothy - call and have the fee removed.  If the check appears as though it was written by you, this seems to be a blantant attempt for them to "extort" additional fees from consumers they hope don't understand or read T&Cs

@ChuckG wrote:

@thrasher865 wrote:
The $25 fee put you over the limit? Sounds like you overdid it to begin with.

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom.

If you want to know how I got to be within $25 of my $250 limit, it's because before I realized that this was a card that would go no where, I talked to a customer service rep and told them that I already had cards with credit limits of $11k, and $4k and would like to know if I could get a decent credit limit on this card, and the monthly maintenance fees waived, otherwise I'd be closing it. The rep told me that they didn't see enough activity on my card, so for 3 months I'd charge ~220-240 to my FP card instead of one of my other cards and always pay the balance in full.

This month, instead of paying it in full with my checking account, I decided to do a balance transfer with a new card so that I could create some activity on that one right away.

Thanks for your amazing insight though.

Message 8 of 14
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Chill, buddy.  No need to get pissed off over nothing.  I misinterpreted and thought you did a BT onto this card to within $25 of the limit. 

Thanks for your amazing attitude.  You could calmly state your situation, without coming off as a...

Message Edited by thrasher865 on 06-04-2008 12:14 PM

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is NOT a 3rd party check-
They are trying to $crew you-

ChuckG wrote:
Just checked the initial disclosure statement:

Payments must be made by check or other negotiable instrument in US Dollars payable to First PREMIER Bank to the address specified on your Statement. All checks or negotiable instruments must be drawn on a U.S. bank or at a U.S. branch of a foreign bank. Payment made through the mail in the form of cash or third-party checks may not be accepted.

The check came from my Credit Union Rewards Visa, and the check has my name and address in the upper left hand corner. I'm not sure how this could be considered a third party check.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.