Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Is Lowes / GEMoney with inactive cards

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

How Is Lowes / GEMoney with inactive cards

I have had my Lowes card for about 5 months, but have never used it.  I really have had no reason to.  I have just a $700 CL, but figure that this is a card I want for the day I actually get my own home and I am expecting it to grow with me as my credit history improves.  Is this one of those accounts that I must use, or it will be closed?  I guess I can go buy a plant or something.
*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Re: How Is Lowes / GEMoney with inactive cards

I can't specifically talk about Lowes, but my GEMB JcPenney card stayed opened for 10 years without me using it.  I noticed recently that it was still updating every month on my CRs so I went out and was able to use it without trouble.  Now, this account wasn't doing my scores any good since it was inactive so long which was my reason for awakening it from its slumber.    I suspect what will govern it closing is how Lowes set up their accounts with GEMB.

Message Edited by Miner on 10-22-2008 03:22 PM
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 2 of 5
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Are you saying that you have to use your card before it helps your credit?  I have several cards with 0 balance that I have never used, including 3 GE cards.  I got a Chevron/Tex gas card because it was the only gas card I could get.  Unfortunately, there are no such stations anywhere around me.
*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 3 of 5
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Changingmantra, 

If you don't use a card within a 6 month period then the card is treated the same as a closed card by the scoring model.  I read that in an interview with someone who worked for FICO.  Many people here advocate using your cards at least once every 4 months.  The good news is you only need 1 store/gas card to report as active to be of use in your scoring.

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 4 of 5
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Even if they are actually reporting on Equifax?  I just reordered Equifax  Smiley Sad  Looks like I have to start all over AGAIN.  Score is now 569 after 4 medical collections in one day!  Dumb *&*Y*( billed the wrong insurance company!  And I have high utilization, nothing but time will fix that.

Ok, so I have these 3 GE/M accounts, which I have never used.  They are reporting on Equifax... so does that mean they are being calculating in my score even though I have not used them?  Firestone, is reporting as 0 balance 0 CL, even though I have a 1200.00 CL with them but that is a whole other mess I wrote about earlier.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.