cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did I get approved for American Express?

tag
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: How did I get approved for American Express?

AMEX used to be a big deal in the late 80's, early '90's. My Dad has a Gold and I used to be all in awe when he pulled it out to pay for dinner and what-not.

My 21 year old cousin has an AMEX Blue Cash...so yeah, not all that like it used to be.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 21 of 41
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@DavidZeng wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

@DavidZeng wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

No cash rewards on Blue lol.

But Blue give 1 dollar 1MR point, same as normal Green, Gold charge card. I am thinking cancel my green and get a blue to reserve my MR points. And you dont have to pay AF for blue! That's only AMEX card that can earn MR point without AF! And one of the two revolers that earn MR, other one is AF 95 dollars Benz credit card. Since I value MR point to 1pt 2.5 cents. I really think Blue is a good card to put those off reward category purchase on it.

Oh really? I thought Blue had MR Express points like the Zync. 

It earns true MR point, and withou AF, I will apply it soon to store my MR points during the period without AMEX charge card. I will cancel my green, apply for PRG, farm sign up bonus, close PRG before AF, wait a few months, and eventually apply for Platinum.  

Unless my memory is foggy, Blue was MRE. Again, I could be wrong.

I did find this to help show the difference. But it might be outdated

http://www.plasticiq.com/blog/what-is-the-value-of-american-express-membership-rewards-points/

I believe you are right lexie, Im pretty sure the blue is MRExpress points, I called in about 3 months ago and was told that indeed it is MRE but they might have changed it recently, I would hope someone that has the card would chime in.

Message 22 of 41
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

@slap_happy wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@DavidZeng wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

@DavidZeng wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

But Blue give 1 dollar 1MR point, same as normal Green, Gold charge card. I am thinking cancel my green and get a blue to reserve my MR points. And you dont have to pay AF for blue! That's only AMEX card that can earn MR point without AF! And one of the two revolers that earn MR, other one is AF 95 dollars Benz credit card. Since I value MR point to 1pt 2.5 cents. I really think Blue is a good card to put those off reward category purchase on it.

It earns true MR point, and withou AF, I will apply it soon to store my MR points during the period without AMEX charge card. I will cancel my green, apply for PRG, farm sign up bonus, close PRG before AF, wait a few months, and eventually apply for Platinum.  

http://www.plasticiq.com/blog/what-is-the-value-of-american-express-membership-rewards-points/

I believe you are right lexie, Im pretty sure the blue is MRExpress points, I called in about 3 months ago and was told that indeed it is MRE but they might have changed it recently, I would hope someone that has the card would chime in.

I actually found this, its a little bit outdated but I guess it shows that blue is MRExpress 

http://www.plasticiq.com/blog/american-express-blue-card-review/

Message 23 of 41
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Here are the transcripts with AMex rep just minutes ago About Blue

Fanda: Does it earn the MR point same as Green or Gold charge card?

Michelle A.: Blue does earn MR points.

Fanda: Can I transfer my MR point from my charge card account into Blue?

Michelle A.: Maybe I am not understanding. You wouldn't have to. The points you earn from Blue will go into your existing MR account.

Fanda: Oh, my concern is I currently have a green card, but I probably cancel my green card if I can get the blue card, so adding a blue card will only use my existing MR account, and I won't lose my MR point if I have blue and close my Green, am I right?

Michelle A.: The points would transfer over.

Fanda: Thank you I will apply it now

Michelle A.: Once you are approved and receive the card, call customer support to switch the points. Do that before you cancel the Green.

Message 24 of 41
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

@slap_happy wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@DavidZeng wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

@DavidZeng wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

I just contact Amex rep, it is MR.not mre in current Blue product, and you can transfer MR points from charge card to Blue 

Message 25 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Isn't the major difference that if you just have the blue you cannot transfer to airline/hotel programs.

Message 26 of 41
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Why guys don't believe there is actually a product from AMEX can earn and use MR points without AF. Smiley Sad 

Message 27 of 41
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@longtimelurker wrote:

Isn't the major difference that if you just have the blue you cannot transfer to airline/hotel programs.

Yes

Message 28 of 41
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@DavidZeng wrote:

Why guys don't believe there is actually a product from AMEX can earn and use MR points without AF. Smiley Sad 

It's not that we do not believe you but CSRs may not know the difference between MR/MRE

Message 29 of 41
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@DavidZeng wrote:

Here are the transcripts with AMex rep just minutes ago About Blue

Fanda: Does it earn the MR point same as Green or Gold charge card?

Michelle A.: Blue does earn MR points.

Fanda: Can I transfer my MR point from my charge card account into Blue?

Michelle A.: Maybe I am not understanding. You wouldn't have to. The points you earn from Blue will go into your existing MR account.

Fanda: Oh, my concern is I currently have a green card, but I probably cancel my green card if I can get the blue card, so adding a blue card will only use my existing MR account, and I won't lose my MR point if I have blue and close my Green, am I right?

Michelle A.: The points would transfer over.

Fanda: Thank you I will apply it now

Michelle A.: Once you are approved and receive the card, call customer support to switch the points. Do that before you cancel the Green.

From what I recall, this was the best feature of the Blue - to transfer points from Green/Gold to Blue. 

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.