Established Member

How do ccs compute the minimum payment?

I already know it varies from card to card, but am I missing something that's clearly stated in terms or do I gotta call the particular card I'm interested in & ask?

BTW, not planning on shooting self in foot by only paying the min :-), but just think it's something I should know when app'ing for BT card.
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How do ccs compute the minimum payment?

Typically minimum payments are computed by simply dividing the minimum monthly payment per statement (varies by CCCs) by the account balance. For more info check out this link.

Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (03-26-2015): EQ 814, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26 years ~ AAoA: 13 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1, EQ 1
Moderator Emeritus

Far be it from me to correct a mod....BUT... :smileyhappy:

Bankrate is bad about leaving outdated information on their site.  That article is from 2002 and it's not really accurate anymore.  There were some changes in the last couple of years to the way CCCs calculate minimum payments (don't remember exactly when they took effect).  These days it's a little more complicated than just applying a simple percentage.  Under the old method, lots of people with high APRs making just the minimum payments were seeing their balances continuing to rise because the minimums were not enough to cover the monthly accruing finance charges.  Under pressure from regulators (and perhaps some actual new regulations, I don't really remember), the calculation was reconfigured so that the minimum payments would be higher on high-rate accounts than they were before.

Like you said, the calculation varies from one CCC to another, but generally it's something like this:

The lesser of:

2% of the statement balance PLUS all accrued finance charges

OR

3% of the statement balance...

...unless that figure is less than a set amount, say $10 or $15, depending on the issuer.  In that case, the minimum payment will be the $10 or $15...

...unless that figure is greater than the statement balance, in which case the minimum payment will be the statement balance.

This is only an example, but it should give you some idea.

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Moderator Emeritus

No worries, I'm not offended or upset with you in any way.:smileyhappy: If any member has information, new or not so new, and wishes to share it by all means do so. I was giving some very basic info, so thank you for adding what you have. Us mods are not omniscient! lol :smileyvery-happy:

Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (03-26-2015): EQ 814, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26 years ~ AAoA: 13 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1, EQ 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.