cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build personal credit, so that I can get unsecured cards ????

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: How to build personal credit, so that I can get unsecured cards ????

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Everyone, 

I would like high limits so that in the event that I do charge 20-30K some months, my debt-income ratio doesnt go overboard. 

Isn't it true that even if you maxed out all your cards and your DTI or utilization was very high that month, that if you paid it all down and returned to normal levels the next month, your score would instantly go back to whatever it was previously.  Perhaps a mod or someone better versed in scoring can confirm, but I don't think it matters if you post a big month if you are always paying in full.  You'd have a high utilization for that month and your score might drop, but it would instantly recover the following month.  The only way it would matter is if you were applying for new credit at that exact time.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Everyone, 

I would like high limits so that in the event that I do charge 20-30K some months, my debt-income ratio doesnt go overboard. 

Isn't it true that even if you maxed out all your cards and your DTI or utilization was very high that month, that if you paid it all down and returned to normal levels the next month, your score would instantly go back to whatever it was previously.  Perhaps a mod or someone better versed in scoring can confirm, but I don't think it matters if you post a big month if you are always paying in full.  You'd have a high utilization for that month and your score might drop, but it would instantly recover the following month.  The only way it would matter is if you were applying for new credit at that exact time.

Bad assumption.

Perhaps in a perfect world it would, but when you are dealing with creditors who report irregularly (as many do) or erroneously (as many do), you've been rebucketed, you have a pending dispute, there has been a CLD and / or you have a balance reporting on the month after you have paid in full ... there is still a decent chance that your score doesn't increase back to original levels -- or even increase at all. 

If you're worried about being in the most favorable light when applying for more credit, one of the best things you can do is PIF before your statement closes ... and even then you can get hit with a creditor that reports twice a month or reports before statement closes.

Message 12 of 15
JonStur
Established Contributor

Absolutely cannot assume statement balance gets reported...I just wrote about that... http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Warning-Know-which-balances-CC-s-report-to-CRAs/td-p/80...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 13 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I'm going to start a separate thread so as not to highjack this one.  Thanks.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@JonStur wrote:
Absolutely cannot assume statement balance gets reported...I just wrote about that... http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Warning-Know-which-balances-CC-s-report-to-CRAs/td-p/80...

Yes, this is reported here on the forums a lot.

HSBC bank (not store) cards, Orchard bank cards, and all US Bank cards (bank and store, such as Kroger and Bed Bath and Beyond) report the statement balance as of the last business day of the month.

There's also a pretty obscure non-Discover Discover card that does the same. I don't think many people have it any more. It was one of the rebuilders.

The US Bank cards update pretty promptly, but HSBC/ Orchard often delay reporting. So they report the balance as of the last day of the month, but they might not send it in until a week or two later.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.