Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to predict CL on new cards?

tag
azg74747
New Visitor

How to predict CL on new cards?

I'm carrying a portfolio of probably some 20 cards, and my AAofA is not the best, only 4 years (oldest card is 8 years). So I am really trying to be selective in opening cards, especially now that I can afford to do that. But my last card - a Citibank Rewards Plus - gave me a ridiculous CL of $1000. If I had any idea that would happen I would not even have opened it. Is there a way to predict this? Also, I have two other Citibank cards with zero balance but they do not allow CL consolidation (I called twice). Would appreciate any pointers that may be relevant.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to predict CL on new cards?

I dont think anyone has figured out the secret sauce they use to determine CL.  I have 5 accounts, all have great credit lines with no balances, and Discover would only give me 3k, yet my wife got 20k with the exact same income from them for SL.  Sometimes I wonder if they just throw darts at the wall to determine starting lines.

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $70k | Citi AA Executive - $37k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k | Citi AA Biz - 20k
Message 2 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@azg74747 wrote:

I'm carrying a portfolio of probably some 20 cards, and my AAofA is not the best, only 4 years (oldest card is 8 years). So I am really trying to be selective in opening cards, especially now that I can afford to do that. But my last card - a Citibank Rewards Plus - gave me a ridiculous CL of $1000. If I had any idea that would happen I would not even have opened it. Is there a way to predict this? Also, I have two other Citibank cards with zero balance but they do not allow CL consolidation (I called twice). Would appreciate any pointers that may be relevant.

No, there's no way to predict it.

Unsolicited advice:  when you get a relatively small starting limit, you should take that as a sign that your approval was marginal, and that it's time to take a breather from applying for things.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 13
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Depending on the issuer, these are some things that may affect SL:

-Credit score

-Utilization

-Delinquency

-Length of credit history

-Length of revolving credit history

-Thickness of credit file

-Amount of existing TCL with this issuer

-Amount of existing TCL with other issuers

-Individual CL's of existing cards

-DTI

-Time on job

-Time at current address

-Velocity of recent applications

That said, it will probably be difficult for anyone not working in underwriting at that issuer to say how exactly these and other factors would come together to determine SL in any particular case.

Message 4 of 13
MudkipsRKooL
Regular Contributor

@Slabenstein

is right. From reading the forums and also facebook groups you do kinda get a feel of what they will give you. Older systems with prepprovals really helped too from AMEX to Discover/Sam's Club. I don't know why they got rid of it. But say it's def. income based and how much you already have with the creditor. 

Say for example your income is 60K, then most lenders will only will loan out a total of 30K total credit to you. The only exception I see from this is Discover and Bank of America. It's not exact science but sort of like saying if you are the "ideal" candidate you would get 100% of your total SL, and then get docked down for attributes.

I'm sure they all prefer 0/24 or under 5/24 rules as well. Or more precise under 2/6 or 2/12 rule for sure. I'm sure they looking at usage/carrying a balance as well as someone whom is gonna use the product. Banking really determines alot as well. I used to get very low CLI with Discover and chase, until I did banking with them. Suddenly I'm getting 2K-5K + CLI as compared to years ago with $500-2000 CLI.

Since you are high velocity I assume you will probably be in that bracket where they put all the baddies. I know this one facebook guy once you get in the $500-$1000 SL club, it's VERY hard to get out until you get higher FICO score, income or SLOW YOUR FLOW. Honestly I would prefer just 3-5 cards with 30K CL instead of 20+ with $500-2500 CL. From reading I know lots of these credit collectors always get asked, "why do you have so much credit cards?" lmao.

it seems like they all use the same algo. Once Chase or w/e gives you only 7K, almost all the other credit companies give you 7K as well or less. I know I was in that "low income" under 3K SL bracket for awhile as well until i came upon Discover and Amex. It's so hard for creditors to respect you until u get that 750+ fico score and 2-5 cards under your belt.

Current score: 778ex | 774tu | 777eq
INQ status: 1/24, 1/12

Currrent Cards:

Future:
Message 5 of 13
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

No, there's no way to predict it.

Unsolicited advice:  when you get a relatively small starting limit, you should take that as a sign that your approval was marginal, and that it's time to take a breather from applying for things.

^^^^ This

Message 6 of 13
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Take a look at the approvals on this site and see if they align with your financial profile.Smiley Wink

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 7 of 13
Tdatb64
New Contributor

Well, you need the 20-sided die from when you used to play Dungeons & Dragons, the five 6-sided dice from your kids' Yahtzee game, and a small bag of chicken bones...

Message 8 of 13
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

There really is no way to know.  
My last 4 cards SL in order:

makes no sense

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9 of 13
FrankenBeans
Established Member

@azg74747 wrote:

What's the highest CL you have on your cards? 

On top of what everyone else said (velocity, score, income, etc), they're also looking at your current lines and who holds those lines. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.