cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to survive an Amex Financial Review?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to survive an Amex Financial Review?

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sevenfeet,

So your debt went from $38k to $120K when all your combined credit is $140k?  So basically you only have 20k in credit available?  If your limit on BCP is 20k, how much do you owe for it to be CLD? 

This is one of the things my question was trying to get at. I don't think its all credit debt, because I think OP would have seen a lot more AA if the credit card debt was that high. Also, it seems like OP owes 6k on the amex, since 1/2 of that would be the 3k payment. 

@red259,

I agree when i read your response.  So if it not credit card debt thus the $120k,  what is Amex worried about with someone having 14,000 available out of 20,000 assuming what is owed is 6,000 which is 30% of the line.  I guess the lender has the right but 30% is not bad in my opinion.

Message 11 of 51
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I'm a bit confused. What do you mean by 120k debt? You started with 140k in credit. How much are you carrying month to month? How long have you been carrying the debt for? How long have you been paying interest on your credit card debt? Has there been any AA on cards where you carried a balance with 0%apr? How much were you paying on the cards you carrying a balance on per month? 

We started with a little less than $40K of debt and racked up another $80K in a 16 month period while my wife was looking for work.  So instead of working our way down, we continued our spending patterns for the first six months and then started dialing back after that.  But some of our debt was on 0% arrangements that ended (Penfed, Citi) and when that happened, it was a tipping point that made the current situation worse.  My plan is to reel it back in over a period of 2+ years....the first 6 months will be the toughest but if we can stay with the plan, it will get easier then and get much easier at this time next year.

Message 12 of 51
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Well you have three options
1) do nothing. You still have the BCP. In two years when the debt is paid off you can ask them for a CLI
2) pay off 3k. This would essentially be buying a higher limit on the Amex under the form of the higher amount of interest you will be paying by not paying off the higher interest card like you had planned. Calculate how much that will be. Is it $10? $100? $1000?

3) go through with the FR. This may restore your amex limit for free, but at the cost of your privacy. How much do you value that?

I think part of the OPs concern with 3) is that might not work anyway, so loss of privacy for nothing.

Strongly agree with working out #2.   Even if the ohter cards are 10% higher than the Amex, it's not going to be a huge amount.

I am leaning to option #2, the problem is doing it in the time alotted.  It would be easier to do it in three pay periods instead of two.  What I had planned on doing was paying off my Discover and US Bank Cash + cards first since they are both at 20% and combined are about $7k. If you are doing the debt snowball, it's a good starting point before going for the big trees at it were.  If I pay $3K to Amex first, it will delay the other cards by maybe up to 45 days but not a horrible length of time.  And I guess the interest payments to Discover and US Bank aren't awful in the grand sceheme of things compared to what it will do to help my situation with Amex.

Message 13 of 51
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

Why dont you consider possibly taking a loan against your 401K.

I know some people are very against doing that but if you have substantial money there you could borrow up to 50K and surely the interest that will save you on the CC debt  will be higher than the return you will earn on that money over 2 years in the market.

That's possible, but I still lose interest on the principal for the amount of time I do the loan.  That of course is against the interest I'm paying to service the current debt.  I was seriously considering doing this anyway (it had been a topic of discussion with our financial advisor) had my wife's employment situation not changed.

Message 14 of 51
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sevenfeet,

So your debt went from $38k to $120K when all your combined credit is $140k?  So basically you only have 20k in credit available?  If your limit on BCP is 20k, how much do you owe for it to be CLD? 

This is one of the things my question was trying to get at. I don't think its all credit debt, because I think OP would have seen a lot more AA if the credit card debt was that high. Also, it seems like OP owes 6k on the amex, since 1/2 of that would be the 3k payment. 

@red259,

I agree when i read your response.  So if it not credit card debt thus the $120k,  what is Amex worried about with someone having 14,000 available out of 20,000 assuming what is owed is 6,000 which is 30% of the line.  I guess the lender has the right but 30% is not bad in my opinion.

I doubt Amex would have cared that much about 30% used on a $20K credit line except when my credit report showed three large cards all at their limits.  The trend was definitely in the wrong direction and I understand why they might move in this direction...Citi certainly had a month earlier.  Once my wife makes her first paycheck in 10 days, the situation will begin to reverse itself.  It's just that Amex wants to be first in line.  At least they aren't asking for the whole amount, which wouldn't be possible in cash flow.

After the first few months, the plan is to pay off the BofA card over a period of 5-6 months ($20K).  Once that's done, I'm going to balance transfer the travel cards and the remaining BCP balance to it and freeze the interest payments for a year.  Then begin paying the Fidelity Amex and burn that down for another 5-6 month period.  Then transfer money to it to freeze interest payments for a year there.  Then come back to the BofA, pay it down over the next six months, balance transfer more to it, move back to Fidelity, lather rinse and repeat.  I've calculated I can eliminate about $400 monthly in interest payments in the first six months from the budget, doubling that in a year.  All savings will go to principal payments, continuing the snowball.  it won't be necessary for the Chase Freedom, since the interest rate is so low it's basically a home equity line of credit in the budget.

Message 15 of 51
Chris679
Established Contributor

OP it's time to start making smart financial choices and that means paying off highest APRs first so you can get out of the hole. Let them slash your CL, who cares. You are going to stop using this card because you have no grace period if you carry a balance. You stated this is your go to grocery card which means you are digging yourself deeper every time you use it by paying interest on your groceries from the moment you buy them! From now on you need to use cash for all purchases unless you have a card that you PIF.

You can get the limits reinstated once everything is paid off.
Message 16 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sevenfeet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sevenfeet,

@red259,

I doubt Amex would have cared that much about 30% used on a $20K credit line except when my credit report showed three large cards all at their limits.  The trend was definitely in the wrong direction and I understand why they might move in this direction...Citi certainly had a month earlier.  Once my wife makes her first paycheck in 10 days, the situation will begin to reverse itself.  It's just that Amex wants to be first in line.  At least they aren't asking for the whole amount, which wouldn't be possible in cash flow.

After the first few months, the plan is to pay off the BofA card over a period of 5-6 months ($20K).  Once that's done, I'm going to balance transfer the travel cards and the remaining BCP balance to it and freeze the interest payments for a year.  Then begin paying the Fidelity Amex and burn that down for another 5-6 month period.  Then transfer money to it to freeze interest payments for a year there.  Then come back to the BofA, pay it down over the next six months, balance transfer more to it, move back to Fidelity, lather rinse and repeat.  I've calculated I can eliminate about $400 monthly in interest payments in the first six months from the budget, doubling that in a year.  All savings will go to principal payments, continuing the snowball.  it won't be necessary for the Chase Freedom, since the interest rate is so low it's basically a home equity line of credit in the budget.

What do you mean by freeze interest payments?

Message 17 of 51
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

@Sevenfeet wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I'm a bit confused. What do you mean by 120k debt? You started with 140k in credit. How much are you carrying month to month? How long have you been carrying the debt for? How long have you been paying interest on your credit card debt? Has there been any AA on cards where you carried a balance with 0%apr? How much were you paying on the cards you carrying a balance on per month? 

We started with a little less than $40K of debt and racked up another $80K in a 16 month period while my wife was looking for work.  So instead of working our way down, we continued our spending patterns for the first six months and then started dialing back after that.  But some of our debt was on 0% arrangements that ended (Penfed, Citi) and when that happened, it was a tipping point that made the current situation worse.  My plan is to reel it back in over a period of 2+ years....the first 6 months will be the toughest but if we can stay with the plan, it will get easier then and get much easier at this time next year.

$80k burned while she was out of work? With....

Message 18 of 51
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

Reminds me of Obama's SOTU just now......won't work

Message 19 of 51
bobbay
Established Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

Why dont you consider possibly taking a loan against your 401K.

I know some people are very against doing that but if you have substantial money there you could borrow up to 50K and surely the interest that will save you on the CC debt  will be higher than the return you will earn on that money over 2 years in the market.

1+  you would be shifting a large portion of your revolving debt to low interest rate amortizing debt, not to mention the util relief your profile would see.  if it were me, this is the route i would go.  good luck

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 20 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.