cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got tired of the Cap 1 song & dance!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I got tired of the Cap 1 song & dance!!!!

@someone379 wrote:

I had tried a few times to get rid of my AF ($59/year) and failed on my CapOne card, it was originally an Orchard Bank card.   I did just get the fee waived perminately this week with a call to EO though.   I told them that the only other card I had with an AF was one that gave me great perks like free hotel night stays etc and that I could not justify paying any AF for this card, much less an AF that is higher than any new customer gets on the same card.    I was put on hold for a minute or two and they came back and waived it perminately. 

I will now keep the card, the 1.5% reward works out ok on some occasional purcahes, and it is my oldest revolving line by a few years...

@someone379 wrote:

I had tried a few times to get rid of my AF ($59/year) and failed on my CapOne card, it was originally an Orchard Bank card.   I did just get the fee waived perminately this week with a call to EO though.   I told them that the only other card I had with an AF was one that gave me great perks like free hotel night stays etc and that I could not justify paying any AF for this card, much less an AF that is higher than any new customer gets on the same card.    I was put on hold for a minute or two and they came back and waived it perminately. 

I will now keep the card, the 1.5% reward works out ok on some occasional purcahes, and it is my oldest revolving line by a few years...

Congrats on successfully getting your annual fee removed permanently!!!

Message 61 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wacdenney wrote:

@alexl22 wrote:

Exactly, I sure as hell have no idea how they do things over there, it just seems to me that a lot of the negative experiences I read on here are people trying to change something on one of the products that didnt originate from capital one. Maybe its something to do with the T&C of the non cap one cards, no idea, just seems coincidental to me.

I had 2 QS1 cards that were both close to 4 years old.  One was originally issued by Crap1 and the other was originally Orchard bank.  After 4 years of banging my head against the wall with them I was forced to close both cards.

I'm sorry you weren't successful with them.

Message 62 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great for you!  With your scores, they should have no problem doing what you asked.  I was almost ready to say good bye myself & they came around.  Let's see if I get my Venture card in 15 months & all my CL's at 10k.  They did lower my interest rate also.  No sense in having a card that causes you anxiety!  

Message 63 of 81
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

You did the right thing. To pay an AF on a card the benefits will need to outweigh the AF or it does not make much sense as there are many no AF cards on the market. 

Message 64 of 81
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

All too often people lose sight of why a thread is started.  This isn't a "Why I hate Cap 1" but more of a "Why I let Cap 1 go" posting.  I'm far from a Cap 1 fan but I recognize why OP decided that her relationship with Cap 1 had come to an end.  I have had cards where I have no annual or monthly fees and I just outgrew the relationship.  I also read this thread in its' entirety and noted that OP hadn't really used this card, so the monthly fee was definitely not worth maintaining, if it appeared the card holder and card issuer relationship had run its course.  I'm far from being a Cap 1 fan but I have seen Cap 1 permanently waive member fees who have less  FICO scores than the OP.  This made me think "perhaps Cap 1 figures if they can't make money on her carrying a balance at a ridiculous APR, they'd at least make some money on monthly fees", which when viewed from this though process equates to greed considering OP has had the card for 14 years.  At the end of the day we're all just card holders and not "whales (members who charge $75K/mo. or more)", and card issuers can truly care less if they lose a few of us from time to time.  Just as in personal relationships we just have to know when we've outgrown them or else we end up losing more than we're willing to and it only creates stress.  I'm sure there will be another applicant to pick up where OP left off and will love their new GENUINE CAP 1 card lol  With scores that the OP has she shouldn't be paying a CC company unless it's for an annual fee that affords benefits that numb the pain lol I'm sure OP is standing over the top of her chopped up Cap 1 card saying "You got knocked the heck out"...you know why?? Because it's Friday Smiley Happy

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 65 of 81
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@black_citi wrote:
I might be the minority here. I've been on and off with cap 1 since 2006 and although up until last year they only gave me credit no higher than $500, at least they showed me love when no one else would.

Last year in november I apped for the QS1. Got approved for 2k. 0% apr until June 2015. Sometime last week they AUTO increased me another 2k. Now I have 4k credit in 5 months. I still have the 39 AF which they refuse the waive but I might PC it to the Venture sometine around July or August. My next AF isn't due til November.

I don't know why they wouldn't be willing to show love to you since you've been so loyal for 14 years but good riddance you got rid of em. They seem to pick and choose who they luv. Amex may not luv me as much as Cap1. I can't seem to get a higher credit increase no matter what I do.

I don't want any credit cards with an annual fee. I know there are some really good credit cards out there with one, but they are not for me. I would rather save my money. I go months without using a credit card sometimes longer so it's BEST for me. They probably were unwilling to do anything because I REFUSED to use it. 

The good fortune Cap 1 has shown you was shown to me by BOA. I app'ed for their cash rewards credit card and received a SL of $800. Within 5 months my CL soared to 6K. 

I am happy that Cap 1 serves your needs. Keep up the good work!!!

The thing about AFs is that they are supposed to be applied to higher tier cards that offer the best perks.  If those perks are worth the fee to you then there's nothing wrong with paying the fee.  Capital One exists in opposite land where the AFs are applied to the worst card.  They stick it to people stuck in the sub-prime market because they are shady.

Message 66 of 81
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@black_citi wrote:
I might be the minority here. I've been on and off with cap 1 since 2006 and although up until last year they only gave me credit no higher than $500, at least they showed me love when no one else would.

Last year in november I apped for the QS1. Got approved for 2k. 0% apr until June 2015. Sometime last week they AUTO increased me another 2k. Now I have 4k credit in 5 months. I still have the 39 AF which they refuse the waive but I might PC it to the Venture sometine around July or August. My next AF isn't due til November.

I don't know why they wouldn't be willing to show love to you since you've been so loyal for 14 years but good riddance you got rid of em. They seem to pick and choose who they luv. Amex may not luv me as much as Cap1. I can't seem to get a higher credit increase no matter what I do.

I don't want any credit cards with an annual fee. I know there are some really good credit cards out there with one, but they are not for me. I would rather save my money. I go months without using a credit card sometimes longer so it's BEST for me. They probably were unwilling to do anything because I REFUSED to use it. 

The good fortune Cap 1 has shown you was shown to me by BOA. I app'ed for their cash rewards credit card and received a SL of $800. Within 5 months my CL soared to 6K. 

I am happy that Cap 1 serves your needs. Keep up the good work!!!

The thing about AFs is that they are supposed to be applied to higher tier cards that offer the best perks.  If those perks are worth the fee to you then there's nothing wrong with paying the fee.  Capital One exists in opposite land where the AFs are applied to the worst card.  They stick it to people stuck in the sub-prime market because they are shady.

Well said.  I applied while in the sub prime bucket, only to be gone from that bucket in 3 months (little did I know, I just wanted a third revolver).  I have made two request to EO.  but whether they will let this card grow, as in lower apr and raise limit, remains to be seen.  Without the AF, have no problem letting netflix hit until card is two years of age, and gotta go.  My income is increasing due to sole proprietorship, and my other cards will provide better bennies.  Don't mind the annual fee for the US Airways, Aviator card, because that comes with perks.   

And, the amazon Chase visa may go (if all goes well with Sallie Mae, need some test runs).  In that case, the card becomes redundant (have dining on SimplyCash at 3%), only perk is two percent drugstores.  I need to find a way to eventually separate business from personal creit, but so far, have payed no interest to use as deduction.

Ergo, it's not only the cap one I would outgrow, but also other cards.  JMHO.

Signature needs updating
Message 67 of 81
noobody
Established Contributor

i have two cap1 cards since 2001, used to be 48AF each, have paid them more than 10 years, after my score well above 760, they finally loosen up, remove both AF permanently, add rewards, CLI Request has been approved (1200 to 10K ; 4200 to 5K), everything I have been ask for has been granted.
well, not everything, my cards remain as platinum, no world (elite), no signature.
I am pretty happy, but since I have better cards now, do not use them much
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 68 of 81
L-TWT
Established Contributor

good 4 u, and I can relate. I only had my quicksilver card for a little over 24 months and I had to bail. Granted, I came to Cap 1 with very established credit and was looking for a cash back rewards card with no AF and FTF (I travel overseas a lot). They started me off with a nice 5 figure starting CL, but with a high APR. I tired via front line CSR and EO on numerous occassions to have my APR lowered to something more reasonable, and was told the rate could not be permanently lowered only temporarily every 5 months, which confused the h*ll out of me. So I said bye, and hello to Discover (01/2015), and boy did they show me some love!!!!!!!

Message 69 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Great for you!  With your scores, they should have no problem doing what you asked.  I was almost ready to say good bye myself & they came around.  Let's see if I get my Venture card in 15 months & all my CL's at 10k.  They did lower my interest rate also.  No sense in having a card that causes you anxiety!  

Thanks!! I'm glad they were willing to work with you. I hope you get your Venture card too. Keep up the good work!!!

Message 70 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.