Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it ok to sock drawer?

tag
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

Is it ok to sock drawer?

Yesterday I reached one of my major credit goals which was to get approved for an AMEX. This will officially put me in the garden for a very long time. At this point I have 9 credit cards and 1 charge card. I would like to downsize to 3 credit cards (AMEX ED, Citi TYP, and Chase Freedom) and the charge card. Is it okay to sock drawer my other cards? None of them have an AF.  Are there any downsides to this? You can hover over the cards in my siggy to see the limits.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it ok to sock drawer?

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Yesterday I reached one of my major credit goals which was to get approved for an AMEX. This will officially put me in the garden for a very long time. At this point I have 9 credit cards and 1 charge card. I would like to downsize to 3 credit cards (AMEX ED, Citi TYP, and Chase Freedom) and the charge card. Is it okay to sock drawer my other cards? None of them have an AF.  Are there any downsides to this? You can hover over the cards in my siggy to see the limits.

I guess this depends on the issuer.  Some people don't like you close cards that have no AF.  My attitude is if I don't plan on using it then why do I need to have it. 

I would say if you decide to SD I would not totally SD it,  just put a small purchase on it every few months and then pay off before statement cuts way you keep the account active.

Message 2 of 27
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

I guess this depends on the issuer.  Some people don't like you close cards that have no AF.  My attitude is if I don't plan on using it then why do I need to have it. 

I would say if you decide to SD I would not totally SD it,  just put a small purchase on it every few months and then pay off before statement cuts way you keep the account active.

I don't want to close them completely because I don't want to hurt my AAoA as the majority of my accounts are new and the ones im SDing are older/rebuilders. Also since my limits aren't that high, I don't want to bring my overall CL.

Message 3 of 27
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

I don't want to close them completely because I don't want to hurt my AAoA as the majority of my accounts are new and the ones im SDing are older/rebuilders. Also since my limits aren't that high, I don't want to bring my overall CL.

Just so you know if you do close them say today, they will still be on your credit report for ten years, so AAOA will not be immediately effected. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 27
iCoop
Regular Contributor

I SD all my  cards except for the three main ones I keep in my wallet. Sometimes I put a small charge on the ones in the SD and sometimes I don't. If the bank closes the card it's no hard feelings because I didn't use the card. Kay's just recently closed a card I had with them because I only used it once to purchase a ring.

I have AmEx but they will not increase my CL above $2500 on my Blue Cash card so it's in the SD. I use my Chase IHG ($12.8K CL), CSP ($12K CL), and NFCU CashRewards ($20K CL) on an everyday basis.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 27
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@iCoop wrote:

I SD all my  cards except for the three main ones I keep in my wallet. Sometimes I put a small charge on the ones in the SD and sometimes I don't. If the bank closes the card it's no hard feelings because I didn't use the card. Kay's just recently closed a card I had with them because I only used it once to purchase a ring.

I have AmEx but they will not increase my CL above $2500 on my Blue Cash card so it's in the SD. I use my Chase IHG ($12.8K CL), CSP ($12K CL), and NFCU CashRewards ($20K CL) on an everyday basis.

Thanks for the info. How long did it take for Kay to close the account? Also, how long have you had your Amex Blue Cash? What are the reasons for their CLI denial if you don't mind me asking. My ED is starting at a low limit (1k) and I'm hoping for the 61 day x3 CLI.

Message 6 of 27
Chaselover
Frequent Contributor

I wud suggest not closing it if theres no AF. I think SDing a with few purchases a good option. Ur util wil go up even tho ur aaoa wont hurt.

In a committed relationship with Chase from 12/2012.
Age: 26, Income: $59,240/-, Current score: TU from CK: 750/A (12/24/14), TU Vantage score from CK: 775/C (12/24/14), Experian from Creditsesame: 717, Equifax from myfico: 724, Overall Util: 1% (12/24/14), Total credit limits: $62,150, In the garden from 12/19/2014, AAoA : 7 months, Oldest account: 8 months, Newest account: 1 week, HP: 18.
Message 7 of 27
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Excellent advice.    If you can , put $5 on each of them a month, and keep building payment history and maybe get some more CLI's.

Message 8 of 27
eddie84
Valued Contributor

I have a card that I pull out once a year to use it for something and then SD it again.   It doesn't have annual fee but I got it since 1999. Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 27
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

OP, this may be irrelevant to your post but if I may ask, how old was your oldest TL and what was your AAoA when you were approved for the Amex charge card?
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.