cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a better card line-up then Chase?

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Is there a better card line-up then Chase?

@Anonymous wrote:
I think the winner is Chase unless you do a lot of spend outside of the country and you have to watch which one you're using because of fees. I have friends who travel to India and several of them swear by having multiple Discover Cards. not sure if it's because they go to Japan as well. From a non travel standpoint chase ewsily the winner with American Express a very close second for all domestic day to day/billpay on cards.

I have had about the exact opposite experience. I don't travel internationally as much as some (5 trips to Canada, 3 to Europe, and 5 to various APAC countries last 12 months) but I can say in my experience Discover and American Express are the two worst cards to have internationally. Discover is spotty outside the US. Some places take it, but a lot don't. American Express is a bit better, but they're not great for acceptance rate either.

The only card I have never had refused at an establishment was MasterCard, and Visa only once wasn't accepted (in Toronto of all places).

Message 31 of 34
rooeez
Regular Contributor

I just got the CSR in anticipation of some up coming travel; my first Chase card. However, after looking into al lthe threads and a bit more when researching travel cards and about how to maximize points I'm all about adding the others to my line-up. 

| TCL = $370,350 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 815| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 32 of 34
Open123
Super Contributor

@rooeez wrote:

I just got the CSR in anticipation of some up coming travel; my first Chase card. However, after looking into al lthe threads and a bit more when researching travel cards and about how to maximize points I'm all about adding the others to my line-up. 

The one attribute that sets UR points apart is the 1 cpp redemption value.  This allows you to hold UR points and not worry too much about devaluation, since the 1 cpp hedge will always allow you to redeem for par value.

It's best to understand how their partners may fit your needs and the types of redemptions you favor before using the points too quickly.  It's tempting to redeem the 100K for cash or $1,500 redemption, but you should explore whether if you may realize an even higher value from transfering to UA, Hyatt, Southwest, or any of their other partners. Usually, points are extrememly valuable when using to top off a redemption, especially on some premium flights or Hyatt stays (especially if you have Diamond status), where points & cash can allow you to easily qualify again the following year.

All things equal, if you travel, you should realize a 2 cpp value for URs.

Message 33 of 34
rooeez
Regular Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@rooeez wrote:

The one attribute that sets UR points apart is the 1 cpp redemption value.  This allows you to hold UR points and not worry too much about devaluation, since the 1 cpp hedge will always allow you to redeem for par value.

It's best to understand how their partners may fit your needs and the types of redemptions you favor before using the points too quickly.  It's tempting to redeem the 100K for cash or $1,500 redemption, but you should explore whether if you may realize an even higher value from transfering to UA, Hyatt, Southwest, or any of their other partners. Usually, points are extrememly valuable when using to top off a redemption, especially on some premium flights or Hyatt stays (especially if you have Diamond status), where points & cash can allow you to easily qualify again the following year.

All things equal, if you travel, you should realize a 2 cpp value for URs.

Agreed. The ability to transfer points was a big selling point.

| TCL = $370,350 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 815| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.