Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lesson in credit...

tag
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

Lesson in credit...

I just got off the phone with BofA.... I am not thrilled... I had a promotional APR on my card for purchases which expired on 3/4/16. A few months ago they sent me a BT promo offer. I took advantage of it. I made extra payments to make sure that my purchase promo balances was paid off prior to the expiration of 3/4/16. I PIF this balance in 12/2015 or so I thought. I noticed that I had been charged interest this last statement period. After a failed chat and two reps over the phone I ultimately learned that I was set up to pay interest. Apparently, when I make payments over the minimum payment, they are automatically allocated to the larger balance. Obviously my BT of $2000 was larger than my balance of $800. So when I made my payments to cover the purchase balance and then some these payments were applied to my BT. The rep said these payment allocation rules are set by the gov't and even if I called I would not be able to indicate which balances I wanted my payments applied to. I find this difficult to believe because I have never had a problem doing so. However, my experience is limited to my Amazon Store Card and other store cards. Anyway, now that I am being charged interest I get to pay off this balance first. Needless to say, I will not be taking any of their BT offers, making any purchases until the current BT offer is up... I don't want to be told of a new rule later... 

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Lesson in credit...

Sorry OP. That is exactly why I don't make purchases on a card with a bt balance. I sd it.
Message 2 of 22
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

Thanks baller... I don't either but apparently I shouldn't put a BT on a card w/ a balance either. Whether that balance has a promo on it or not... Lesson learned... 

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 3 of 22
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

What baller4life said
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 4 of 22
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Kennie02 Iv'e had to learn the same lesson. Welcome to the club 😜
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
Sorry OP. That is exactly why I don't make purchases on a card with a bt balance. I sd it.

I also have a BoA card.  It has 21 months 0%APR on BTs.  I will ONLY be using it for BTs until that promo is over.  (It has a nice APR for purchases, but not as nice as 0%)

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only "rules" I know of set by the gov. is that any payment over the minimum due is supposed to go to the balance with the highest interest. I've never heard of a rule that it has to go towards the highest balance. Sometimes I think they make up rules as they go Smiley Wink Anyway, I usually do what baller4life suggested, the only time I don't is if the purchase APR is 0% too and it expires at the same time as the BT APR.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow.... that totally sucks.  Lesson learned I guess... 

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is exactly what banks hope will happen from the moment they issue your card. Imagine how many people fall for this, with most not even realizing it. 

Thanks for the heads up OP!

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

I've made purchases while having a BT ongoing for both your favorite creditor Barclays and CapOne and have never had an issue or been charged interest.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.