Did you mean: 

Marriott Rewards 80K offer

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: Marriott Rewards 80K offer

@negg wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
I put almost NO spend on my marriott card (Few things here and there to keep it active) but the annual free night gets rid of the "useless" factor for me.

And this has become a joke all in itself.  About the only the hotels left in the cat 5 or lower are Fairfield and springfield hotels or w/e they call them.  I'll will say if you stay exclusively with Marriott the 5 points per $1 add up nicely.   Just put my family up in the Waikiki Marriott, one week later 12,750 points.   Not bad. 

Can't really say that definitively because the category a brand is in depends heavily on the area. There are some Cat4 Courtyards by me 

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:

@negg wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
I put almost NO spend on my marriott card (Few things here and there to keep it active) but the annual free night gets rid of the "useless" factor for me.

And this has become a joke all in itself.  About the only the hotels left in the cat 5 or lower are Fairfield and springfield hotels or w/e they call them.  I'll will say if you stay exclusively with Marriott the 5 points per $1 add up nicely.   Just put my family up in the Waikiki Marriott, one week later 12,750 points.   Not bad. 

Can't really say that definitively because the category a brand is in depends heavily on the area. There are some Cat4 Courtyards by me 

Same here...location is key.

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Current offer is a little on the blah side. 1 month with no new trades honestly isn't enough "incubation" time after a round of bonus collections.
Message 13 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@negg wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

A) This is entirely innacurate. There are cat 1-5 properties in almost ALL brands (excluding Ritz and Edition as they operate on the tier system)

B) The category is not based on brand, it is based on location

C) There is NOTHING wrong with fairfield and springhill suites. Definitely acceptable hotels. Some are actually quite nice. 

Message 14 of 28
negg
Frequent Contributor

Granted there's a cat 4 courtyard in Bismarck ND. Not exactly a place where people go. Where people actually go cat 5 hotels are trying up. I know of at least 3 courtyards that where cat 4 now are cat 6.  This is my point.  

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 15 of 28
someone379
Regular Contributor

Just stayed at a Cat 4 Courtyard in Bloomington, MN down the street from the Mall of America, there were quite a few CAT 4 options there, and it is hardly Fargo.

There are still options out there, but overall the points really are not worth much and only really worth it if you are using the card to get 5x points at their hotels, IMO.

I am not disappointed with opening the card, I did it because I wanted it, but was just pointing out that it really is not worth much in everyday spending.

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gonna have to agree with Jsu, maybe it's because we live in the same state but there a good number of category 5 and lower marriotts here. I certainly have had no trouble finding any..
Message 17 of 28
onstar
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@negg wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

A) This is entirely innacurate. There are cat 1-5 properties in almost ALL brands (excluding Ritz and Edition as they operate on the tier system)

B) The category is not based on brand, it is based on location

C) There is NOTHING wrong with fairfield and springhill suites. Definitely acceptable hotels. Some are actually quite nice. 

A) Yup. For cat 5, there are at least 3 Marriotts to choose from in southern California: Fullerton, Irvine, Long Beach. Can't speak for Fullerton, but the other 2 are really nice. And the Residence Inn in San Diego (La Jolla) and the one in Irvine (John Wayne Airport) are super nice; nicer than many Marriotts.

B) Well, it's based on both the brand and the location. Within the same locale, the higher end hotels will generally be in a higher category.

C) True. Within the same brand, some locations are so much nicer than others. You will find many Springhill Suites that are on par with the Marriotts in quality.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 18 of 28
onstar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@someone379 wrote:

I like the bonus on this card, I have it and got it for 70k points, and it's metal so it's a cool card, but I have found that except for that bonus  and the metal cool factor, my card is pretty much useless.   I charge a few things to it to keep it active, but the rewards outside of the bonus are meh.  Not a bad deal on the free room each year I guess even with the AF.

Is that necessary? I always assumed AF was enough activity to keep AF cards active. Any datapoints on this?

Probably not necessary. But I do it anyway. I try to charge at least one thing every other month, on all my cards that I care about.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 19 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

tons of cat 5 and lower hotels right near Disney and universal. can't say no one goes there.
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.