Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mervyns CC Closure.

tag
voidman
Established Contributor

Mervyns CC Closure.

Looks like Mervyns is going to close most (or all) of its stores. Also people's mervyns card are being closed by mervyns..

Can anyone let me know how it is reported in the Credit history, closed by creditor or closed by comsumer?

Thanks.

-void
Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Mervyns CC Closure.

Well, this is what stupid Mervyns emailed me today (boy, they took FOREVER!!!)

Please understand that a Mervyns credit card account cannot be converted to an account offered by GE Money Bank for another merchant. To receive an account for another retailer, please submit an application for that retailer. Most merchants offer applications in store and online.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 16 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
laz98
Senior Contributor

do you think GEMB will let people do a product change to another card?
Message 2 of 22
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@voidman wrote:

Looks like Mervyns is going to close most (or all) of its stores. Also people's mervyns card are being closed by mervyns..

May I ask where you heard this ?

I was hoping that GEMB might convert the Mervyns card to something else.
Message 3 of 22
voidman
Established Contributor

The store close to my home in CA has now out of business sale, plus if you check their website, try appliing for a new mervyns card, it says that they have stoped doing that also, there will be no returns after Sep 14... and ofcource its been in the news about its closure for a while. 

-void
Message 4 of 22
kay82
Regular Contributor

I got a message on my statement advising me that I could no longer make anymore purchases on my card after Nov. 1, but they're still reporting to the CRA as an open charge account.. Im really bummed about this because this was my oldest and only store charge card and now they're closing.... Super Bummed Smiley Sad
12-08 TU 654 EQ 630 EX 628

12-08 TU 640 new accounts

1-31-09 EQ 644 15% util !!!
2-10-09 EX 663 15% util !!!
Message 5 of 22
voidman
Established Contributor

@kay82 wrote:
I got a message on my statement advising me that I could no longer make anymore purchases on my card after Nov. 1, but they're still reporting to the CRA as an open charge account.. Im really bummed about this because this was my oldest and only store charge card and now they're closing.... Super Bummed Smiley Sad

Yeah, i am in a similar situation, it is the only store card that I have. I have not got any mail from Mervyns about it like you have got. I am in CA in the bay area, where are you living?

-void
Message 6 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

voidman wrote:

@MojaveMoon wrote:

The store close to my home in CA has now out of business sale, plus if you check their website, try appliing for a new mervyns card, it says that they have stoped doing that also, there will be no returns after Sep 14... and ofcource its been in the news about its closure for a while.  

But just to clarify, does it actually say that the cards will all be closed, or just that they're not taking apps for new ones?

Generally, when a store goes out of business, or they discontinue the CC relationship, the issuing bank offers some sort of replacement. It seems like Chase used to have some sort of Disney-type thing, and they ended it and offered cardholders a non-co-branded Chase bank card.

In fact, if Barnes and Noble buys out Borders, I'm hoping that this will happen with my Borders Visa.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently closed my Mervyn's account.  I got a letter stating they appreciated my business and they hoped I would continue to shop with them.  It also said I could reapply.  I just received the letter a few days ago.  I am sure it hasn't been updated as far as the "you can reapply"--because you can't.  

I hope they do offer to switch people to another card.  For me though I was pulling weeds, and Mervyn's happened to be one of them.   To clarify though they didn't close my card.  As far as I know the store was still accepting them 2 weeks ago.  However they are no longer accepting payments on the card and they are no longer accepting gift cards or merchandise return credit.  

If GEMB were to allow you to change to another line what would you change to? 

Message 8 of 22
voidman
Established Contributor

I would prefer a GEMB backed gas card, i guess that would be more usefull than the mervys... I hardly shop at mervys....
-void
Message 9 of 22
kay82
Regular Contributor

Im in SoCal just got approved for a target card but with that card closing that takes away 8 years of credit history....but on the statement it said no more purchases can be made with the card ....
12-08 TU 654 EQ 630 EX 628

12-08 TU 640 new accounts

1-31-09 EQ 644 15% util !!!
2-10-09 EX 663 15% util !!!
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.