cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini-App Spree...

tag
JL421

Mini-App Spree...

After rebounding my utilization from 93% down to 27% I applied for a Chase freedom card on the 26th. I had to call in to verify info since I had moved in the last 6 months. I was approved with a $3,000 credit limit.

Also on the 26th my DW wanted to go get a Sam's Club membership. Problem was I didn't have a Discover or Walmart credit card, so I had to apply for a Sam's card. I wasn't confident enough in my CR to app for the Sam's Discover, so I went with the store card. Instant approval for $700.

I was set to go into the garden...then I remembered that the BCE gives nice rewards to fill in for the Freedom when the quarterly bonuses aren't really all there. I applied today, I got a message to call in to complete the app. After verifing my address I was approved for $2,000 on a new BCE.

Finally today, I decided that since I don't need to save inquiries at the moment as it will be about a year until I need any additional credit (new car followed a year or two later by a mortgage), I apped online for a Walmart card because the Sam's doesn't have a free TU each month, and I kind of want to keep my spending seperated between the two stores. Instantly approved for the Discover version of the card for $700. Didn't even have to select which one I wanted.

So I now have $6,400 in new credit at 20, after two years with a Cap 1 Platinum that had a $750 credit limit after a $250 credit steps increase. I'm so excited that I can finally close that dead end account. At least it gave me 1% cash back with 2% back on my phone bill and fast food, but I had to pay it multiple times per month to do anything useful with it.

My local bank advised me to take out a small personal loan in Febuary to help build my credit, but even though they advised me to do so, they wouldn't approve me without a co-signer and the co-signer's $7,500 vehicle as collateral for a $2,000 loan. While I did get a pre-approval for a $1,600 citi platinum select card (The one with worthless citi cash rewards), one week after receiving it, I feel that loan was rather worthless to my overall credit profile.

Oh well...As least now I jumped from $2,350 in credit to a nice comfy $8,750 that will actually grow with me and help my profile for when I really need to borrow money in the future.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Re: Mini-App Spree...

Congrats

Message 2 of 8
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Way to go.  Those accounts should grow nicely with a bit of TLC and restraint Smiley Happy  Don't forget to ask for the 3xCLI at 61 days with your AMEX Smiley Happy

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 3 of 8
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your journey and new accounts! Your time in the garden will serve you well!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 4 of 8
ntx
Regular Contributor

Nice spree! Congratulations! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

nice!
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 8
S7
Established Contributor

Congrats on the spree!! Kind of exhilerating isn't it! I just did my first one over the weekend!

"When you are down in the mouth, remember, everything turned out ok for Jonah."

Current FICO's(by lender) 10/9/12
EX:649, EX:651, TU:683
Message 7 of 8
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@S7 wrote:

Congrats on the spree!! Kind of exhilerating isn't it! I just did my first one over the weekend!

Wonder how many thread S7 gonna have if S7 do 5 app !!!!!!!!!! Lmao......he get too excitedddddddd 

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.