cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Myth or Truth: Paying for Lunch on a CC Is Bad for You?

tag
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

Myth or Truth: Paying for Lunch on a CC Is Bad for You?

**Do point me in the right direction should a similar thread already exist**

I'd like to either confirm or debunk the myth that the kind of purchases you make on your credit card can and will have a negative impact.  For instance, I was once told long ago that using my credit card to pay for lunches at various fast food restaurants on a day to day basis could harm my account and bar me from credit line increases and etc.  Or using a credit card to make small purchases under $5 will hurt me.

Is this true?  

Starting Score: EX 651/EQ 654/TU 668
Current Score: 735/721/732
Goal Score: 751 as lowest score by 8MAY15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Myth or Truth: Paying for Lunch on a CC Is Bad for You?

I use my credit cards for everything.   I almost never use cash.   Even though I have $100 in my wallet, it just sits there, unused.... not even for small transactions.  Its kind of an emergency fund.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 31
myjourney
Super Contributor

@ForumPheen wrote:

**Do point me in the right direction should a similar thread already exist**

I'd like to either confirm or debunk the myth that the kind of purchases you make on your credit card can and will have a negative impact.  For instance, I was once told long ago that using my credit card to pay for lunches at various fast food restaurants on a day to day basis could harm my account and bar me from credit line increases and etc.  Or using a credit card to make small purchases under $5 will hurt me.

Is this true?  

Welcome to the forum 

CC companies don't care how you spend it just as long as you spend it and pay them lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 31
andre181
Established Contributor

Use your cards how you wish. Make the payments. The end.

If a CCC doesn't like that you shop at Walmart or eat lunch and McDonalds, are they really worth your time? Probably not. Find another bank that doesn't care.

Some purchases may trigger something, like paying taxes or paying for a lawyer on a credit card. Stuff like that can concern the banks that you are having financial or legal issues. And that kind of makes sense. But otherwise, just live your life.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 4 of 31
creditYum
Established Member

Gotta get those rewards points for dining. Use CCs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Message 5 of 31
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

+1 banks reward you for using them when dinning out. so yeah its a myth

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 6 of 31
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

I think credit card companies could care less if you use their cards for fast food.  One of the Chase Sapphire commercials even has dad taking the kids out for burgers and cokes, to tout the 2 points on dining and travel.  The only purchases that might raise red flags for them might be huge medical expenses, especially if those expenses were coupled with you only making the minimum payments.  Its really more your payment history and pattern that they look at.  Pay your bill on time and in full (or if not in full pay a good chunk of it) and the card issuers are pretty satisfied.

Message 7 of 31
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Some lenders such Amex will assign each  transaction a score based on what it is. For example a charge coming from a high-end luxury restaurant will be assigned a higher transaction score than eating at Denny's.

I don't think they'll AA you for too many low-scoring transactions, but it does help them to better profile you for targeted offers and invitations.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 8 of 31
R0C

That's correct, but Amex is the only one that I know of that does this. I avoid questionable purchases with Amex being that they can be prejudice against certain stores. I even avoided fuel purchases until I knew that Amex didn't care about that. Amex is weird, but worthwhile at the same time.

Scores (updated 5/15/2013)
EQ 806 - TU 808 - EX 815 - DCU EQ 813 - PSECU EX 815 - CS EX 835 - CK TU 765 - CREDIT EX 800 - QUIZZLE EX 760

Tradelines
Amex Platinum to Amex PR Gold NPSL - NFCU Visa Platinum 45k - PenFed Visa Promise 44.5k - USAA Mastercard 35k - Service CU Visa 27k - Grow Financial FCU 25k - Amex Clear 25k - PSECU Visa 20k - Military Star Card 8.7k - PenFed Visa Gold .5k - PSECU PSL 20k

Banking
USAA - NFCU - PenFed - Service CU - Grow Financial FCU - PSECU - DCU
Message 9 of 31
JonStur
Established Contributor

Not only is it not discouraged, my US Bank Siggy has both a fast food, and separate restaurant cash back reward category...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.