cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay down debt to 29% or increase credit ?

tag
anderl
Frequent Contributor

Pay down debt to 29% or increase credit ?

Hi Fico Forums-

I've been working on my credit for 10 mnths. now and thanks to this Forum I've- increased my Fico scores( 610EQ to 696EQ AND 631TU to 725TU), and 596EX to 696EX- and I've increased my credit, from 0 to $40KSmiley Very Happy. I apped for quite a few cards and was approved for-Premiere MC($350),Secured WFNB Visa($1K),HSBC Discover($300),NFCU Flagship Visa(10K),Nfcu GoRewards(1K),NFCU NAV Chek LOC(15K),Sears(1K),JCPenneys(1K),Macys($400),Amex Delta Skymiles(2K)-got some CLI's,NFCU Visa(10K to 12.5K)-Sears(1K to 5.6K)-JCPenneys(1K to 2.8K)-and since I had to relocate for work(NYC to Miami), have used my store cards and NFCU a lot-am now up to 44% utilities and am now paying it down aggressively($2K/Month)-I have a little xtra coming in this month(3.5K) and was going to pay 5.5K towards my balance which would put me @ around 29% utilities OR was thinking of ADDING to my WFNB Secured Visa,bringing it to 4.5K,( in hoping that when my Secured card graduates I"ll have a higher CL), which would bring my utilities to only 37%- obviously I want to have a higher CL with my WFNB Visa. Any suggestions?Smiley Wink

Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Pay down debt to 29% or increase credit ?

From a FICO standpoint, increasing the CL on your secured card will lower your overall utility and raise your score, but what this won't do is affect the individal utility on your other cards, which may be impacting your score if it is high.

From a financial standpoint, you definitely want to pay down your debt with that money.  Not only will you save on interest, but you'll be in a more secure position if a card does decide to reduce your line of credit.

A major factor to consider would be how soon your expect your secured card to unsecure, how soon might you have those funds available to you again?

Message 2 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Since FICO does not score based on CL, but only on % util of CL, then increasing CL or decreasing balance owed will both improve your FICO score.

Paying debt is a sure way of reducing % util.  Asking for a CLI is not assured.   And it will result in a hard pull.

Aside from FICO considerations, paying down debt reduces your actual balance, and thus will reduce your montly interest.

If you now have $40K in availalbe credit and are at 44% util, you have a debt balance of approx. $17,600.  At an assumed annual APR of 18%, that is around 1.5% a month, or around $260 a month just in interest.  That is a lot of money just to keep the balance where it is now.

I would pay down the debt as my first priority.

Message 3 of 10
anderl
Frequent Contributor

My secured Visa w/WFNB will turn a yr. old in May- I was going to add 3K this month-when May comes around I wanted to see exactly how much of a CL WFNB will give me- I've read here that they usually graduate the card 1.5 times the secured amount. I don't have a major bank cc with a high(er) CL and was hoping that when my card does graduate, I'll be given a CL of at least 4K-then once they return the xtra 3K, I'll apply it to my debt. All of this is just to get a higher CL once my card becomes unsecured.
Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 4 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I see your logic, anderi, and it is your choice.

If you wait for them to initiate a CLI on their own initiative, you could wait forever.  The higher your % util is at the time of their review for a possible CLI, the lower your chances of their approval.  They can do a pull of your CR as a normal course of account review, and most assuredly will before extending you more credit.

I re-state my prior opinion, and that is all it is, that I would not focus on CLI increases now, but rather on reducing current % util and monthly interest being accrued on high debt by paying down the current balance.

Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Kill off the debt, and let the CLI's come naturally with time.

The more debt you carry, the more of a hostage you are to your lenders. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your best FICO results will come from lower utilization, fewer balances AND lower total balances.

Adding to your total CL's will lower utilization, but will not reduce your number of balances nor your balance amounts.  FICO does look at the actual dollar amount of your debt, not just the utilization....

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

+100 to haulingthescoreup & txjohn!   Paying down debt is NEVER a bad idea...ever!  It always gives you a positive result & it makes you feel better too!

Another thing you should know already from reading here.....PIF every month!! (except for the small 7ish %)  Smiley Wink

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Kill off the debt, and let the CLI's come naturally with time.

The more debt you carry, the more of a hostage you are to your lenders. Smiley Wink

Couldn't put it better!
Message 9 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

haulingthescoreup wrote:

+1,000,000

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.