Paying down CC ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying down CC ?

Hi all, this board is great! Quick question: I have 2 credit cards:

CC1: $2800 balance--$3000 limit
CC2: $2000 balance--$2100 limit

I have $2500 in cash to pay on 1 or both. Should I pay off the CC2 or spread it even between both CC1 and CC2? Would either way make a difference on the FICO scoring?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

Re: Paying down CC ?

Hi Newark,

There will be no Fico difference as your utilization will be lower either way so it doesn't matter. I would pay down the card with the higher APR first.

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uncle_Money wrote:
Hi Newark,

There will be no Fico difference as your utilization will be lower either way so it doesn't matter. I would pay down the card with the higher APR first.

I agree.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice...
Message 4 of 10
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

I would worry a little more about your credit standing with your issuers and a little less about FICO. Issuers DO NOT like maxed out cards. Once you get both cards out of maxed status you can worry about which has the higher APR. For now divide up the money so you get both balances down.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jmbfl wrote:
I would worry a little more about your credit standing with your issuers and a little less about FICO. Issuers DO NOT like maxed out cards. Once you get both cards out of maxed status you can worry about which has the higher APR. For now divide up the money so you get both balances down.

I personally never had problems with issuers when my CCs were maxed out, and I know it happened a lot to me before I started trying to pay them off.

I also would pay down on the card with the highest APR.
Message 6 of 10
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

What is the Interest rate on the cards?  It goes without saying I would pay the higher first.
CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 7 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

If your goal is to get out debt (which it should), make minimum payment on CC#1 then put all the rest on CC#2.  Once CC#2 is paid off, then attack CC#1.  Dont worry about interest rates or FICO scores in that they will take card of themselves.

You could also follow jmbfl's plan which is both CCC friendly and FICO friendly.

Message Edited by marty56 on 08-03-2008 08:44 AM
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:
If your goal is to get out debt (which it should), make minimum payment on CC#1 then put all the rest on CC#2. Once CC#2 is paid off, then attack CC#1. Dont worry about interest rates or FICO scores in that they will take card of themselves.
You could also follow jmbfl's plan which is both CCC friendly and FICO friendly.

Message Edited by marty56 on 08-03-2008 08:44 AM

Except if you're trying to get out of debt you should worry about APR's. If the OP's APR on card 1 is 30% and card 2 is 10% it is going to take the OP longer to get out of debt if card 1 still has a balance with a higher interest rate, plus that's more money down the drain through interest.
Message 9 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

Dave Ramsey and others recommend paying the smallest balance off first.  This provides momentum and motivation to people who for the most part need it to help stick with the plan.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.