cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying part of my tuition with BCP! Help!!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Paying part of my tuition with BCP! Help!!

$500 Visa Pre-paid for $5.95, I seem to only see $100 cards, maybe $200 pre-paid cards... that's why Im always reading about using the gift cards with puzzle because I know of the $5.95... $500 load value makes more sense!!!

I need to check on these and get a Blue Bird Account!!

Message 11 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

$500 Visa Pre-paid for $5.95, I seem to only see $100 cards, maybe $200 pre-paid cards... that's why Im always reading about using the gift cards with puzzle because I know of the $5.95... $500 load value makes more sense!!!

Usually these are "variable load" card, that can be loaded with any amount between say $20 and $500.

Message 12 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Usually these are "variable load" card, that can be loaded with any amount between say $20 and $500.

same as "Green-Dot" that can be loaded to Amex Pre-Paid Card (SERVE)?

Message 13 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

same as "Green-Dot" that can be loaded to Amex Pre-Paid Card (SERVE)?

Well, these are variable load MC/Visa/Amex, that since early this year have to be PIN enabled.  They are issued by various banks such as US Bank, Metabank, and you can use things like Vanilla Visa and OneVanilla.  

Message 14 of 20
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

If you are buying that all at once at a grocery store, don't be surprised if they won't let you, the cashier will likely call the manager and they will ask for your drivers license. There is a lot of fraud that happens surrounding g the purchase of gift cards with credit cards so they will be suspicious that it is a stolen card, etc. good luck. The store I manage requires you to present photo ID when purchasing gift cards with a credit card over $50. The DL number must be entered into the computer to proceed with the transaction.
Message 15 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I pay my grad school tuition with my PRG, but the tuition is fairly cheap and my employer reimburses it for me

They take CCs, but the main problem is that there is a fee... but I make my employer reimburse me for the fee.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 16 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@cottoncrown wrote:
If you are buying that all at once at a grocery store, don't be surprised if they won't let you, the cashier will likely call the manager and they will ask for your drivers license. There is a lot of fraud that happens surrounding g the purchase of gift cards with credit cards so they will be suspicious that it is a stolen card, etc. good luck. The store I manage requires you to present photo ID when purchasing gift cards with a credit card over $50. The DL number must be entered into the computer to proceed with the transaction.

Wow, CVS checks for transactions over $1,000 (and they scan the driver's license), $50 seems pretty low.

Message 17 of 20
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@cottoncrown wrote:

Yup, and I was very happy that they checked my ID. The purpose of this is to make sure that it is ME buying the giftcards, rather than someone trying to cash my credit card clean. They do it similarly when you purchase with Chase online by asking for your social security number. When it is over $2,000 a lot of stores will require that you fill out a government form; however, I did it in three separate transactions--two transactions of $1,500 and one of $500.

There is no need to fret if you have a legit need for the money. Manufactured spending becomes an issue when people use it to simple get points or redeem sign-up bonuses. I buy about $2,000/month in giftcards for rent/utilities, etc. and have never had an issue with Chase or Bluebird. And from a lot of people over at FlyerTalk, this is miniscule to what others do. There's a reason BB is so popular and AMEX is aware of what people do. Just my $.02.

Message 18 of 20
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@cottoncrown wrote:

Wow, CVS checks for transactions over $1,000 (and they scan the driver's license), $50 seems pretty low.

I agree.

I have had a lot of times where CVS doesn't check (systems are not updated yet) when I buy to $500 Vanilla Reloads.

Message 19 of 20
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I pay my grad school tuition with my PRG, but the tuition is fairly cheap and my employer reimburses it for me

They take CCs, but the main problem is that there is a fee... but I make my employer reimburse me for the fee.

You are so lucky! Smiley Happy Unfortunately my firm does not pay for law school, but will pay for the bar, etc., so I'll take that!

Yes, there was a $75 fee if I wished to pay via CC to the school. Doing it through Bluebird with my BCP allowed me to only spend $42 in fees, but get $213 back, so it was covered quite easily and then some. Win/win!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.