Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reason #654657 I will never get rid of my AMEX cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reason #654657 I will never get rid of my AMEX cards

Long story short, I signed up for a membership to buy a product and knew exactly what I was getting myself into. Thankfully I paid the member fee on my AMEX Gold. Had to wait for the membership to become active before I could buy said product. Went back in 3 days later to purchase the product, and it was gone. Called the company and asked what happened, they said they didn't know, but it wasn't coming back. I told them that I wasn't interested in any other products and asked if they could please refund my $99 fee. The guy said he wasn't sure and transferred me around, and I finally got hung up on. Continued calling daily multiple times per day, with no one answering the phone. I get angry and said forget it. That was back in January. I was looking through old statements today and saw the fee. Decided to call AMEX, and told them the story, the rep said "Oh, I'm so sorry. I have refunded the fee to your card. Thank you for being a valued AMEX customer!"

This experience just justifies my love for AMEX even more. The customer service has, and always will be the best in the business IMO. Even though I'm fairly young (and dumb) and new to credit, I will carry an American Express card until the day that I die. So glad that my parents helped me through the door by adding me to their account when I was 16.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Re: Reason #654657 I will never get rid of my AMEX cards

Good stuff bro, was thinking about getting the gold amex too but you could never downgrade it to a no annual fee and even if you could, I didn't really like how the rewards structure is.
Message 2 of 13
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Long story short, I signed up for a membership to buy a product and knew exactly what I was getting myself into. Thankfully I paid the member fee on my AMEX Gold. Had to wait for the membership to become active before I could buy said product. Went back in 3 days later to purchase the product, and it was gone. Called the company and asked what happened, they said they didn't know, but it wasn't coming back. I told them that I wasn't interested in any other products and asked if they could please refund my $99 fee. The guy said he wasn't sure and transferred me around, and I finally got hung up on. Continued calling daily multiple times per day, with no one answering the phone. I get angry and said forget it. That was back in January. I was looking through old statements today and saw the fee. Decided to call AMEX, and told them the story, the rep said "Oh, I'm so sorry. I have refunded the fee to your card. Thank you for being a valued AMEX customer!"

This experience just justifies my love for AMEX even more. The customer service has, and always will be the best in the business IMO. Even though I'm fairly young (and dumb) and new to credit, I will carry an American Express card until the day that I die. So glad that my parents helped me through the door by adding me to their account when I was 16.

That is great endeed, but that's not exclusive of Amex, you can do that with most premium cards, I've done with Chase Reserve and Barclay Arrival without a hitch as well. I don't have anything against Amex but don't see the value on their charge cards such as the Gold when compared to the competition. I do enjoy my BCP and SimplyCash though, except for their extremely delayed rewards posting.

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 3 of 13
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Not trying to be smart about this, but please do not start thinking AMEX or any other CC issuer is your friend. They all care only about money. The same company that has these nice customer service agents will show you their other face in times of trouble. These collection agents for credit cards were calling my Mother to say she had a moral obligation to pay my brothers debt since he had died so abruptly of a heart attack. I PIF and use these cards to milk every dime I can, but I will never ever think of them as my friends, have a personal tragedy you will find out how heartless they are, and may very well be posting how you will never again carry their sorry card. They are big business, neither all good or bad.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 4 of 13
TheVig
Regular Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

Not trying to be smart about this, but please do not start thinking AMEX or any other CC issuer is your friend. They all care only about money. The same company that has these nice customer service agents will show you their other face in times of trouble. These collection agents for credit cards were calling my Mother to say she had a moral obligation to pay my brothers debt since he had died so abruptly of a heart attack. I PIF and use these cards to milk every dime I can, but I will never ever think of them as my friends, have a personal tragedy you will find out how heartless they are, and may very well be posting how you will never again carry their sorry card. They are big business, neither all good or bad.

There is no compassion in credit or any area of banking. Never has been. If there was, it would be expensive for everybody.

Message 5 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on getting the refund. 

I have difficulty with the concept of closing my PRG simply because it is one of the most recognizable cards on the market.  AMEX Customer Service doesn’t hurt either.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 13
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I could care less about a lender. The more allure they have, the less heart they have. It's OK, they are here to make profit and cut risk as they see fit.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great customer service, sure.... 

That is why myself and many others haven't seen their Delta sign up bonuses yet (per their customer services rep). I hit the minimum spend in November and I'm still missing my 70,000 miles. 

The customer service, while above average, is a joke compared to what it used to be. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opinions on different lenders are always going to be in the eye of the beholder.  For every person that posts about having a horrific experience with X lender and tells their story, there's the converse out there where someone posts about X lender being the greatest ever because of their story.  It's just like reading reviews for any product really.  All products no matter how "good" or "bad'' they really are will come with both stellar reviews and terrible reviews.

Message 9 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

While you had a justifiable reason, chargebacks months down the line are another reason, not talked about, as to why amex isn't as widely accepted as it should be. While working at Best Buy we would have to go to court to get our payments for product and installation labor because amex would constantly side with their client and chargeback without proof. People would get a $10k refund because they claimed their job was never completed, despite having installers there for days doing all the work, and the clients would request the chargeback for something as petty as not getting a callback within hours because they couldnt remember how to turn on their $8000 tv (not exagerating, it happened all the time) While Best Buy can afford to be in court and eat the loss if they have to, many places can not.

My experience as an amex client was always good except one time. I had lost my gold card and requested a new one. They overnighted it, but I never received it. I called them up and let them know. They apologized profusely and overnighted another card. Again, I didn't recieve it. I called them back and the person told me that I had tried to get gas with it without activating it. I told her it obviously wasn't me if I was calling to let them know I didn't receive it. She asked who else would try to use it and was basically making it sound like I was trying to scam them. I asked her why the hell would I try to use my own card without activating it. She got all huffy and overnighted it again. The next day, my neighbor came over with the envelope and said it was delivered to them by mistake. Amex had been sending it to the wrong address. Both amex and my neighbors lost a little respect from me that day.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.