cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requested VISA got unwanted MasterCard. Removing unauthorized credit inquiry and card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Requested VISA got unwanted MasterCard. Removing unauthorized credit inquiry and card?

True, here in the USA 99.9 percent of places that take Visa also take MC. In fact it has been many moons since I have seen a sign that said Visa Only or Mastercard Only.

On the other hand if you are planning a trip to the Olympics next year and Visa is still the sponsor then I can see the difference. LOL

Message 21 of 33
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Requested VISA got unwanted MasterCard. Removing unauthorized credit inquiry and card?

Sam's here doesn't take Visa.
Message 22 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

laz98 wrote:

That would make sense. I don't go to Sam's, so I keep forgetting about their odd CC acceptance.

I was just curious, since nowadays Visa/ Mastercard is almost one word. I had to look in my wallet to see which of my cards are which.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 23 of 33
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

haulingthescoreup wrote:

laz98 wrote:

That would make sense. I don't go to Sam's, so I keep forgetting about their odd CC acceptance.

I was just curious, since nowadays Visa/ Mastercard is almost one word. I had to look in my wallet to see which of my cards are which.
I'd never ever shop at Sams, but why won't they accept Visa? What other CCs do they disallow?
Message 24 of 33
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

I'd never ever shop at Sams, but why won't they accept Visa? What other CCs do they disallow?

Below are the payment methods accepted at a Sam's Club location:

• Sam's Club Credit account
  • Walmart and Sam's Club gift cards
  • Cash or check
  • Discover®
  • MasterCard®
  • Debit card
  • EBT
  • American Express® and Visa® are not accepted for In-Club purchases.

Below are the payment methods accepted on samsclub.com:

• Sam's Club credit account
  • Walmart and Sam's Club gift cards
  • Check
  • Discover®
  • Visa®
  • MasterCard®
  • American Express®
  • Debit Card
  • EBT -- is not accepted on samsclub.com
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

I guess these large warehouse clubs can get special deals with credit card companies to lower their expenses per transaction. And I guess that Visa just said No to that deal.

I mean, look at Costco and their odd deal with Amex, which is the only credit card accepted there in store. You can use Visa online, though, similar to the differences between Sam's Club stores and online portal.

Message 26 of 33
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I guess these large warehouse clubs can get special deals with credit card companies to lower their expenses per transaction. And I guess that Visa just said No to that deal.

I mean, look at Costco and their odd deal with Amex, which is the only credit card accepted there in store. You can use Visa online, though, similar to the differences between Sam's Club stores and online portal.

I renew my Sam's Club membership annually online using a Visa card.  Sam's Club also accepts Visa at their gas pumps. 
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 27 of 33
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I used to have a Costco membership a couple of years ago, & they did actually take my Visa.  Is it a recent thing that they only take AMEX?  Perhaps it is not across the board.

Message 28 of 33
laz98
Senior Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

Why does it make sense?  Is it a well-known reason why they don't take VISA?  I'd really like to know.  I hate their policy, because I like to use my Chase Visa debit card for everything, since it is a rewards card.  But of course, icky Sam's says no Smiley Sad

Message 29 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

laz98 wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

Why does it make sense?  Is it a well-known reason why they don't take VISA?  I'd really like to know.  I hate their policy, because I like to use my Chase Visa debit card for everything, since it is a rewards card.  But of course, icky Sam's says no Smiley Sad

Lordy, I'm just digging my hole deeper and deeper...

No, I wasn't saying that it makes sense that Sam's doesn't take Visa in-store. I was saying that oh, that makes sense, maybe OP preferred a Visa to a Mastercard because s/he (I've lost track) shops at Sam's or another store that has this peculiar practice. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.