Established Member
OBlakers

SHOULD I CONSOLIDATE?

This is actually for my g/f (21yrs old). She has two credit cards maxed out, adding up to $10K. We're trying to figure out what the best course of action would be to eliminate this debt, the minimum payments are pretty high for her. Would consolidating be the thing to do, or a personal loan? or any other suggestions would be much appreciated...

Thanks All in Advance.

Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

Re: SHOULD I CONSOLIDATE?

OBlakers wrote:

This is actually for my g/f (21yrs old). She has two credit cards maxed out, adding up to $10K. We're trying to figure out what the best course of action would be to eliminate this debt, the minimum payments are pretty high for her. Would consolidating be the thing to do, or a personal loan? or any other suggestions would be much appreciated...

Thanks All in Advance.

Depending on the state of her CBR's and income she may be able to get a personal loan from a CU - that would be the best way to go. Asking for a consolidation loan may present a problem - some institutions may require the consolidated accounts to be closed (which is not good). Watch the APR's carefully and once the CC's are PIF'ed make sure they stay PIF'ed. Do not guarantee anything yourself!
Contributor
xchap

Re: SHOULD I CONSOLIDATE?

Yes i went the credit union way(like creditwherecreditdue mentioned) and consolidated 5 high apr credit card to a personal loan at 12% @ that time my credit score was 677 save lots of money. my monthly payment  is $366 @ $16k borrowed

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 760
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+