Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self Employed Proof of Income when applying for CCs

tag
DrDG
Established Member

Self Employed Proof of Income when applying for CCs

I have a question for everyone. I am waiting for a baddie to drop off and then I am going to start applying for a few cards. I was wondering about proof of income. I've read a few posts about paycheck stubs, but I am self employed. Do most credit card companies require you to submit proof of income? For me, that means having to submit bank statements and I'd prefer not to do that. Did any of you have to provide proof of income? Particulary those who may be self employed? Thanks so much. 

Rebuilding with goals of reaching 750.
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Self Employed Proof of Income when applying for CCs

@DrDG wrote:

I have a question for everyone. I am waiting for a baddie to drop off and then I am going to start applying for a few cards. I was wondering about proof of income. I've read a few posts about paycheck stubs, but I am self employed. Do most credit card companies require you to submit proof of income? For me, that means having to submit bank statements and I'd prefer not to do that. Did any of you have to provide proof of income? Particulary those who may be self employed? Thanks so much. 

Depends on the company.

Message 2 of 38
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

In my experince most bigger banks dont ask for proof of income. A lot of the smaller places like credit unions will ask for a proof of income. I think tax returns would also work depending on who asks. But my guess is as with a lot of self employed not everyhing is included in your taxes per say. You could also have you bank just print out the deposits you make and not the withdraws. Or atleast my credit union can. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 3 of 38
thatguy1
Contributor

I have not had to prove income to any CC companies. My auto loan and real estate loans require my last two years tax returns.

$15,400 - $1400 Just Unsecured- $10500 - $2300
123 Rewards AU $1500 - BofA AU $2300 - Discover It AU $7200 - Discover It AU $8000
~505 EQ in Jan of 13, now at EQ 690 / TU 674 / EX 681 according to myFICO.com.
Message 4 of 38
DrDG
Established Member

I'm thinking of Cards like Walmart CC, Barclaycard, Discover, and eventually, AMEX... 

Message 5 of 38
DrDG
Established Member

That's a good idea. Didn't think of that. Thank you. The cards I am considering applying for are maybe Walmart CC, Barclaycard, Discover, and AmEx

Message 6 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrDG wrote:

That's a good idea. Didn't think of that. Thank you. The cards I am considering applying for are maybe Walmart CC, Barclaycard, Discover, and AmEx

Just don't do anything to spook them and you'll be fine.

Message 7 of 38
DrDG
Established Member

What do you mean? Please explain.

Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrDG wrote:

What do you mean? Please explain.

-Spending a lot more than your stated income would allow.

-Buying cash equivalents often

-Frequent cash advances

-Calling every month asking for a CLI

-Applying for too much credit too quickly

-Racking up too many Inquiries

-Sneezing. Etc.

Message 9 of 38
DrDG
Established Member

Lol, thanks so much for the info!

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.