Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I reapply for Discover IT?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I reapply for Discover IT?

@Anonymous wrote:

I really wanted the discover IT card as I do a lot of shopping on Amazon and 5% back for half the year is a pretty sweet deal. I applied but was denied. They pulled my TU which had a bogus collection I was disputing and my score was 599. A day after I was denied the collection was removed and my score went up to 651. There is one collection on there for $129 which I'm disputing since what happened was I was being charged for my cable and the neighbors across the street and they apologized and promised to pay me back but never did and then put me in collections. 

Should i try again for Discover or just wait since I just got the Journey card?

First I'm sorry this happened to you! do you know what your score was before these 2 collections are reported?

Wow 52 points increase from one removal of collection, I wish I see that much of increase on mine... I can only hope... I'm so ansy just the thought of it. I too only have 2 collections on my report and one of the newest one was a mistake and they sent the deletion/removal request yesterday but I have yet seen it reflect on my credit report. But I sooooo soooo wish that it will give me that much of a jump! 

THanks for sharing!

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was watching my credit karma scores before I decided to finally get my fico and I had from June till now about 80 more points. I also got a cli from 200 to 500 on my cap 1 secured in June. I just received my journey card and it has a limit of 500 it'll report mid September. I can't wait to see what my score will be when I've effectively 5x my credit limit in a few months.
Message 12 of 15
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I really wanted the discover IT card as I do a lot of shopping on Amazon and 5% back for half the year is a pretty sweet deal.

The calendar is not the same every year.  If you shop a lot at Amazon then consier the Prime Store Card if you have Prime membership.

@Anonymous wrote:

There is one collection on there for $129 which I'm disputing since what happened was I was being charged for my cable and the neighbors across the street and they apologized and promised to pay me back but never did and then put me in collections. 

Should i try again for Discover or just wait since I just got the Journey card?

You want to apply when your credit is in the best possible shape.  A derog like a collection has a significant impact and is a major red flag to creditors.  You want removal of the derog if possible.  Apply when your reports are clean.  Appyling while having one or more derogs and recent new accounts is not recommended.  With the collection those new accounts are going to be seen as a bigger risk factor.

I agree.   Given OP's current approvals, I don't think Discover is going to break the trend.   I'd wait at least 6 months to let the HPs and the accounts age a bit before trying Discover again.   I would agree about Amazon Prime: I was approved with a $700 CL when my scores were around 630.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is good advice in your thread OP. Best of luck to you!
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely consider the Amazon store card. If you use the card regularly and pay in full each month, you will see several credit line increases within the first year. Wait for your scores to recover from the collection disputes before applying for the Discover It. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.