Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Barclay likes to be wrong

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So Barclay likes to be wrong

I submitted a CLI request on my Barclaycard Apple version. It gave the message, denied. Why in the heck do you have to call me then?  You say no, I take it as a no. I didn't call them to recon it, suddenly I get a call 2 hours later. The guy was rude first off, then says " so tell me about this Capital One acct you opened in January" I said I didn't, my DH added me to his card in January and I'm positive it shows authorized user. My Cap One cards are older. He says no it's not. SO casually I asked what does it matter anyways, you all denied my CLI online and that Cap One Card would come in handy the limit is 3x my Barclay limit and has nothing on it. He said ok tell me about your Discover card. I said thanks for reminding me I had that, that limit is also 3x my Barclay limit and it's my own card, and it's on a 0% interest promo, I'll use that to buy my new MacBook Pro, was there anything else I could help you with...He paused and was like HUH lol. I felt the call was done at the first minute when I had to tell you a card you're asking about wasn't mines and reporting a zero balance.

They are strange to say the least but lesson learned they like to ask you questions but you better not correct them, they are always "right"

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So Barclay likes to be wrong

That sounds really uncomfortable, sorry it happened. You handled it well. It would surprise the heck out of me in a not so good way if Barclay called me suddenly and grilled me about everything on my report without my reaching out or asking them to do so, I don't blame you. Weird.

Message 2 of 18
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

I'm a recent new card Member for their Arrival Plus and Apple Rewards. Not happy with their CSR's and I hope I don't have to deal with them too much for this very reason, very rude and downright angry people work there. Other than that the card is great! Smiley Tongue

FICO 8 Scores: EX 706 (11/3/2016) EQ 696 (11/17/16) TU 708 (11/17/2016)

"Use your Credit wisely, don't let it use you!"~Me Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd probably be so irritated at them calling me and grilling me unsolicited that I'd be tempted to say "not only did I get card x, y, and z, but I have plans for at least 10 more cards in the next 2 months."(even if I didn't). Jerks.

Message 4 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

They are a weird lender.. They either like you or don't.. I personally have never had a bad experience "yet" with them and have a ton of new accounts over the years that I have had them as well.  I use them for 5% on SM and sign-up bonuses nothing else and they keep taking it Smiley Happy..  Who knows what they like or don't people speculate alot.  As stated always been nice when I got my APR reductions and SP CLI's.

I do feel bad for the OP of this thread though as I would of told them to probably shove it as well if I had that same conversation.   Weird that they called you after the denial unless they were possibly give you a "chance" to recon the denial of the CLI and looking for a reason to give you one?  Just a thought

Edit:  They do like to ask questions and I just answer them honestly.  Just the way they do things I guess, but that doesn't make up for the guys arrogance that called OP

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are definitely much nicer than I. My response would have been "So, let me tell you about the Barclay Apple Rewards card I'm closing today!" Yeesh!

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

LMAO I have the worse flu like cold that **bleep** near choked me

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd probably be so irritated at them calling me and grilling me unsolicited that I'd be tempted to say "not only did I get card x, y, and z, but I have plans for at least 10 more cards in the next 2 months."(even if I didn't). Jerks.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I could have said stuff it, I still have a small balance on it from a 18 month financing offer, sad part, the promo ends July 2017, the way I've paid it, it'll be done before February.

Message 8 of 18
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

OP handled it really well. My sincere congratulations on your standing firm like that with them.

I really don't know where they get off with their biting scrutiny toward decent cardholders who are only building up their credit profile as best they can.

It's like Barclays staff n CSR's hate to see people satisfied and most rub you the wrong way unnecessarily.

In my own (2) year stint with them with first the Rewards MC, (they always denied me the Sallie Mae) and after that the Ring Card, it was always an uneasy correspondence with them criticizing my efforts to add new accounts when I barely only had a few at the time. And those were stretched out over some months but they made you feel like you was doing wrong and I detested that impression they left me with.

I had in total only "2" halfway decent staff I spoke with in as many years who were U/W that actually made me feel welcome.

All the other times, and I did my fair share to communicate openly, seemed like nerds or morons who belittled every reasonable explanation that you answered them with.

Needless to say I was never chopped like so many others but I had enough of reading the frustrating experiences that they employed on our members here and with new opportunities just ahead (to help get ahead) they left me with no other choice but to just be done with them and leave them out so I concluded my relationship in a Proactive manner and no longer care to even deal with them again.

These posts like this and so many other sour experiences about Barclays just never seems to end Smiley Mad

Message 9 of 18
Sharingan
Established Contributor

It was probably a representative or analyst who was recently told to start carrying his weight in the office and to finally start doing some work. Strangely, a call like that probably would've made my day since it's not often that I get the opportunity to scourge an unwelcomed caller on my phone. Regardless of whether or not he was trying to overturn the initial decision, I don't believe any customer should be spoken to rudely or condescendingly; and the conversation would've quickly changed to his conduct with a customer. I'm sure the Barclays US employees in Delaware or wherever they are situated do not work out of some ivory tower.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.