cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting to feel defective...watch yourselves for too many apps, accounts, etc.

tag
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Starting to feel defective...watch yourselves for too many apps, accounts, etc.

First Discover took away $500, which I understand becuase I had a high utilization, then Elan took $2600 away which didn't make sense becuase I was less than 10% on them, and now Barclays took $950 away...I had less than 50% on them and it was for a 0% balance transfer offer that's good until December. Who's next? Geez...prolly Amex as I have available credit on that card.  

And I say watch out becuase I have NO Baddies, I've NEVER missed a payment. My downfalls are too many inquiries and too many accounts recently. However the cards that have decreased me I've had for over 1 year each. I'm getting nervous that Synchrony may follow now and I love two of those cards, my PPMC and Ebates. 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
subwaysandwich
Frequent Contributor

Re: Starting to feel defective...watch yourselves for too many apps, accounts, etc.

Yup, amex is getting decreased next. How many inquiries total on all 3 reports?

Message 2 of 16
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Re: Starting to feel defective...watch yourselves for too many apps, accounts, etc.

The highest one is 40 and yes I know that's a lot. I barely used credit cards for almost 10 years and suddenly I was approved for a major one and it went nuts from there. The approvals were like crack to me...everyone saying yes. Live and learn, guess i'd better concentrate on paying everything down that's decreased me so my utilization stays low. 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

do we have to send you to rehab?

Message 4 of 16
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

I'm thinking maybe..... I have 1K in savings which would pay off both Barclays and Elan but it would wipe out my emergency fund. Not sure I want to do that. 

BK DC 10/18/18
Last app 6/2/21
Message 5 of 16
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@nursepower wrote:

The highest one is 40 and yes I know that's a lot. I barely used credit cards for almost 10 years and suddenly I was approved for a major one and it went nuts from there. The approvals were like crack to me...everyone saying yes. Live and learn, guess i'd better concentrate on paying everything down that's decreased me so my utilization stays low. 

I have a hunch that paying the ones who decreased you will only allow them to decrease further. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. I'd suggest paying down cards with either smallest balance (so they start reporting 0 soon) or highest interest. Choose one option.

Message 6 of 16
skigirl916
Established Contributor

40!!!

Were you approved for any with that many?

Message 7 of 16
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Yes I was. B of America was the most recent and I only app'd for that because they sent me a preapproval in the mail and I'd been wanting them for awhile. 

BK DC 10/18/18
Last app 6/2/21
Message 8 of 16
yfan
Valued Contributor

Damn, and I thought 7 inqueries (including one for car shopping - didn't end up buying, and two for opening a new online checking and refinancing my car) was going to get me in trouble. Good news is, I have all the cards I want, and I can now safely garden without much temptation.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nursepower wrote:

Something similar happened to me, i never had any Credit Cards and last year i got the Secured BankAmericard and never applied for anything else, But CapOne kept sending me Pre-Approved applications for their CLASSIC Platinum $39 Annual fee with NO Rewards Card, 4 of them to be exact, And one day i said, let me go to CapOne site and see what they've got, There i applied for the JOURNEY and was approved for $2000 and i LOST my mind, Long story short, Now i have 17 Hard Inquiries on my EQUIFAX..........CapOne messed me up lol Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.