Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategizing usage while trying to simplify

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strategizing usage while trying to simplify

Now that my app spree is complete, it's time to strategize. DH just likes things to work and can't much be bothered with the fiddle-y-ness of maximizing rewards. He rolls his eyes when I tell him it's time to stop using card A for purchase type B so I want this to be as clean as possible. I've picked up an AmEx BCP and Barclay's Arrival+ that I anticipate taking the bulk of our purchases now. 

Groceries: BCP until maxed, then A+ 

Gas: BCP (I think I've figured out it's not worth hassling the Chevron system...more later)

Restaurants: A+

Dept. Stores (which we really don't frequent): BCP

Amazon: Chase Amazon

Freedom and Discover: When they make sense. 

Everything else: A+

To keep it simple for DH, he can't go too wrong using the A+. We'll max the grocery limit so eventually some will need to go on there anyway. Amazon accounts are set to default to the Amazon card. 

Chevron is the one I feel the most cautious about changing, but I think I've figured out that it's not really worth all the contortions I'm going through to maximize their rewards, the crazy calculations they have, and the fact that the statement date floats so much...I think it'll be at the back of the pack. 

We've averaged 55 gal of gas a month for the past year. Assuming gas is about $3 per gallon, that's $165 per month average. We've saved .10 per gallon using their card vs. another card. So we're saving about 5.50 per month. I'm also charging $350 per month to that card for things like my cable bill, etc. to reach the $300 threshold to get .10 per gallon gas rewards. So that's another 5.50 per month. When I make a change to something that's on auto pay, I have to remember if it's on this card or that, and if it throws my 'near $300' out of whack, I have to rebalance to not waste too much by charging over $300. I see that for several months I've been 'wasting' $50 per month of charges not earning rewards. Not the end of the world. But...

If I use the BCP for the 55 gallons of fuel at $3 then I get $4.95 in rewards on the BCP. And if I charge the $350 mo to the A+ rather than the Chevron, I get $7 when I redeem them I get another .70. 

Roughly $11. for using the Chevron and $12.65 for using the BCP/A+ combo. 

When I think of how much time I've put into thinking this through and writing it out, it's both sad and funny. But it HAS kept me from going out and spending money. Smiley Wink 

Have I missed anything? 

I've avoided travel/membership rewards type things up until now because our travel is usally road trips with an occasional flight here and there. I think being able to use the rewards from the A+ for OUR kind of travel will be awesome. 

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.