Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprising Discover Merchant Categorization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprising Discover Merchant Categorization

On a whim, my son and I went bowling the other day at one of our local lanes.  For some reason, I pulled out my Discover to cover the games and rentals...still not sure why I chose it over my Cap One QSs, but I did.

I was just looking at my account and the posted charges trying to see if my Six Flags payment went through to get the 5% on that and I just happened to expand the charge from the bowling alley.  It was actually categorized as "Eating Places and Restaurants"!!!!  So I get the 5% on that charge instead of the 1% I was assuming I'd get back.

Not a spectacular amount spent, but still surprising to see a bowling alley categorized as an Eating Place/Restaurant as opposed to Entertainment.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Re: Surprising Discover Merchant Categorization

Nice!!!
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 2 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I hope you signed up for the discover double cashback bonus. That would mean 5% now, another 5% in 12 months =] 

Message 3 of 9
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Yeah, those things are so random. A couple of the places I ate at while in Las Vegas were categorized as Travel/Entertainment, in my opinion they were restaurants 100%, lol. The violators were The Pantry at the Mirage and Five50 Pizza at Aria. Smiley Wink Both good food though. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cain- wrote:

Yeah, those things are so random. A couple of the places I ate at while in Las Vegas were categorized as Travel/Entertainment, in my opinion they were restaurants 100%, lol. The violators were The Pantry at the Mirage and Five50 Pizza at Aria. Smiley Wink Both good food though. 

I love Five50 Pizza.  Had awesome meal there in early May.  Thehostess thigh irritated me to no end.  Walked in and wanted to sit at the bar so I could watch The Players Championship golf on TV.  Hostess said all the TV were being watched and that they have a policy of no golf on tvs.  I was like 'uh, there's one person at the bar so they aren't all being watched and that has to be the dumbest policy I've ever heard.  I was about to leave to go find somewhere else to watch it when a manager who apparently had overheard the conversation came over and said 'Please don't leave, of course we will put the golf on a TV for you'.   I'm sure the hostess got an earful. But on topic, a lot of the Vegas restaurants like that get coded as travel/entertainment. . I try to always to put the charges on my hotel bill to at least ensure I get the 3X bonus from either Chase or Citi

Message 5 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

On a whim, my son and I went bowling the other day at one of our local lanes.  For some reason, I pulled out my Discover to cover the games and rentals...still not sure why I chose it over my Cap One QSs, but I did.

I was just looking at my account and the posted charges trying to see if my Six Flags payment went through to get the 5% on that and I just happened to expand the charge from the bowling alley.  It was actually categorized as "Eating Places and Restaurants"!!!!  So I get the 5% on that charge instead of the 1% I was assuming I'd get back.

Not a spectacular amount spent, but still surprising to see a bowling alley categorized as an Eating Place/Restaurant as opposed to Entertainment.

Bowling for dollars!!

Well played!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

I hope you signed up for the discover double cashback bonus. That would mean 5% now, another 5% in 12 months =] 

I sure did!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cain- wrote:

Tell me about it.  I just knew my Freedom was good for 5% cashback when we ate at the seafood restaurant at Treasure Island.  Then the charge posted and all it was was the 1% since it coded as Entertainment.  I would've been better off using my QS in this instance.  Vegas gets you coming or going...LOL.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Bowling for dollars!!

Well played!

LOL...I wouldn't have been so surprised if it was one of those newer alleys meant for the younger happy hour crowds since they typically have an actual seated restaurant but this was a regular old 10-pin/league night type bowling alley.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.