Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tempted to App for AMEX Blue...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tempted to App for AMEX Blue...

I'm really tempted to apply for an AMEX Blue, but not sure.  I got a preapproval in the mail for a PR Gold card and was approved 2 weeks ago(Backdated to 1992, had a card years ago!).  From what I understand, it's much easier to get a charge card with them and not as easy for a revolver.  Couple questions:

If I app for the Blue, will they use the same CR from a couple weeks ago or will it be a new HP?

I do have about 4 baddies falling off this year, but was approved for the PR Gold.  Is the Blue approval process much more difficult?

I applied for a Delta Skymiles AMEX a couple months ago and was declined with a EX FICO of 667.  Would I probably get the same result applying for the Blue as I got with Delta Skymiles?

Thanks for the feedback!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Re: Tempted to App for AMEX Blue...

Search for AmEx threads, I thought I read that Hard Pulls would only be as a result of approvals, declines were soft pulls. Look into it. Good Luck.
Message 2 of 20
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

That is for card members, of course.
Message 3 of 20
quest208
Frequent Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:
That is for card members, of course.

Wait wait wait.  you are saying as an amex cardmember, if you apply for another amex card and get denied it ends up as a soft pull, but if you are approved for a second (or third) card it ends up as a hard pull?

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 4 of 20
Guava
Established Contributor

Yea, there have been several threads about that. You are currently a AMEX card holder and apply for a new AMEX card, if you were declined, it wouldn't result in a hard pull.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 20
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

That is what I've read here, for cardmembers only an approval would trigger a Hard. I apped for Green and Costco TE same day, approved for Green, denied for Costco (already considered a Member!) and only had 1 Hard pull.
Message 6 of 20
Ron1
Super Contributor

I would wait at least six months to avoid account closure or F/R.

Ron.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any other thoughts would be great!  

Why would applying for an additional card cause accont closure or F/R?  That doesn't make much sense to me.

Message 8 of 20
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Yeah I'd like to hear the reasoning for that as well.
Message 9 of 20
Ron1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Any other thoughts would be great!  

Why would applying for an additional card cause accont closure or F/R?  That doesn't make much sense to me.

They're afraid you wouldn't able to pay them back. 

Ron.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.