Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The purge has started!

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

The purge has started!

New year, new credit resolutions to stick to. Per my previous post, I am going to clean out the store cards, and a couple of majors. 

Today I closed the following accounts. They all had $0 balances

Gamestop - $3,000 (started at $250 in 10/14)

Overstock - $1,850 (started at $250 in 3/15)

J Crew - $5,850 (started at $250 in 3/15)

iComfort - $6,000 (started at $3,000 in 5/15)

American Eagle - $300 (started at $175 in 7/15 was hoping for the VISA upgrade that never came, and a CL that wouldn't budge) Smiley LOL

Next up, probably in April: 

Barclays Apple Rewards - $3,800 (they took AA on me last year for no reason)

Cabela's - $1,000 - They won't grow, despite me running a ton of money through the card)

After that, it's back to killing off the rest of the store cards:

Chevron - $4,000

Express - $3,250

Barney's New York - $30,750

Lowes - $10,000

Amazon.com - $5,000

It's going to hurt losing the Lowes and Barney's because they're fairly large limits, but I'm hoping my majors grow. I'm also considering apping the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards to replace my Amazon PLCC. 5%, and on a major card is better than 5% on a store card to me. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The purge has started!

Congrats! It must feel good. I want to close a few myself but I am having trouble letting go Smiley Very Happy 

You are not interested in keeping Cabela's to see how Capital One will handle CLI's once they take over? Yes, I see the irony in that statement.....though to be fair Venture, Venture One and QS have been getting decent limits.

Message 2 of 16
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! It must feel good. I want to close a few myself but I am having trouble letting go Smiley Very Happy 

You are not interested in keeping Cabela's to see how Capital One will handle CLI's once they take over? Yes, I see the irony in that statement.....though to be fair Venture, Venture One and QS have been getting decent limits.

Not really. Capital One is known to limit people with cards they've acquired from other banks. Small CLI's, if any, and most times they can't be combined into other card accounts. Most everyone with old Orchard Bank and HSBC cards was left out of the account combination LUV, and I don't expect their Cabela's acquisition to be any different. 

Message 3 of 16
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Good time to trim the excess and look ahead.

Capital idea!

Message 4 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Well done!. Thats alot of cards what are you keeping?
Message 5 of 16
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Well done!. Thats alot of cards what are you keeping?

The only cards I'm keeping are my Freedom, My Quicksilver WMC, and my BBR. Everything else is slowly getting cut off. 

Eventually I might replace my Amazon PLCC with the Prime Visa, but I'm not in a hurry to do that. 

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

New year, new credit resolutions to stick to. Per my previous post, I am going to clean out the store cards, and a couple of majors. 

Today I closed the following accounts. They all had $0 balances

Gamestop - $3,000 (started at $250 in 10/14)

Overstock - $1,850 (started at $250 in 3/15)

J Crew - $5,850 (started at $250 in 3/15)

iComfort - $6,000 (started at $3,000 in 5/15)

American Eagle - $300 (started at $175 in 7/15 was hoping for the VISA upgrade that never came, and a CL that wouldn't budge) Smiley LOL

Next up, probably in April: 

Barclays Apple Rewards - $3,800 (they took AA on me last year for no reason)

Cabela's - $1,000 - They won't grow, despite me running a ton of money through the card)

After that, it's back to killing off the rest of the store cards:

Chevron - $4,000

Express - $3,250

Barney's New York - $30,750

Lowes - $10,000

Amazon.com - $5,000

It's going to hurt losing the Lowes and Barney's because they're fairly large limits, but I'm hoping my majors grow. I'm also considering apping the Chase Amazon Prime Rewards to replace my Amazon PLCC. 5%, and on a major card is better than 5% on a store card to me. 

Hells yeah I am with you. Got my spreadsheet open right now pin-pointing who is going to be first on the chopping block!

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great! I wish I could do the same, but I'm so attached to my cards lol. You're doing good by closing the store cards, because supposedly they suck! 

Message 8 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

"Supposedly" Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I feel you with the BBR, thats my BT best buddy Smiley Wink but have had norhing but love from Boa with this card even though they dont have to. Probably the only card i will break my garden party to get another cli. Am 2 for 2Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.