Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Amex Or Not To Amex...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To Amex Or Not To Amex...

Quick history first - this year I had an Amex CO (never paid) fall off my CR, and applied for a few cards (the first I've had in 7 years), and ended up with a Discover More and Nationwide Plantinum, both with healthy credit lines (and happy with both so far). Had them for about 4 months now, PIF'ing both cards.

Back when I was applying I did try for Amex, just to see what would happen since I learned from the boards they wouldn't do a hard pull if I was blacklisted. I was. So no Amex, which really is fine with me.

Today I get in the mail a "your selected" offer for the Green card from Amex. Then I try their preselected website (which had no approvals for me before) and not only is the Green on there, but also the Zync.

I don't need, or really even want a card from Amex. The two I have total a CL of $13K which is more than enough. BUT I could really use the aging from the Amex if they backdate to when I first had one about 10 years ago. My AAoA is only 2 years right now, and my oldest TL will fall of next year (I think, since it will be 10 yo). I am trying to get my scores up for a possible mortgage in the next 12-24 months.

My question is...do I apply, or shred this and throw it away?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: To Amex Or Not To Amex...

I would get it. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would get it, but lots of us are under an AMEX spell...

Message 3 of 12
Ron1
Super Contributor

Over ten years ago, I was still blacklisted by Amex.  They sent me pre-approval/pre-selected thru mail and I still got denied because I had a couple of charge-off Amex accounts. I heard Amex has a long memory in their internal record. By the way, they still pulled credit report if you're blacklisted. How long ago was your charge-off account(s)? It took more than 20 yrs off their record. I quit applying for a while. Two years ago, I applied for Amex Gold for fun. I didn't get instantly approved.  I got an approval email on the following morning. I heard you cannot be AU if you have a charge-off account with them.

You can try if you want it. All they can tell you is no.It may cost an inquiry on your credit report. Good Luck.

Pre-selected doesn't mean you're automatically get approved. They still need pull your credit report.  I think Amex Zync is easiest one to get.(IMO)

Ron.

Message 4 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

Over ten years ago, I was still blacklisted by Amex.  They sent me pre-approval/pre-selected thru mail and I still got denied because I had a couple of charge-off Amex accounts. I heard Amex has a long memory in their internal record. By the way, they still pulled credit report if you're blacklisted. How long ago was your charge-off account(s)? It took more than 20 yrs off their record. I quit applying for a while. Two years ago, I applied for Amex Gold for fun. I didn't get instantly approved.  I got an approval email on the following morning. I heard you cannot be AU if you have a charge-off account with them.

You can try if you want it. All they can tell you is no.It may cost an inquiry on your credit report. Good Luck.

Ron.

2 things:

1. They very much DO NOT pull credit if your black listed

2. in the past they would not issue AU cards if you were black listed but now you are able to add people by name only with no social if you want to and black listed people can be au again.

Message 5 of 12
Ron1
Super Contributor

I didn't know. Thanks for your info. They still don't issue a card as a primary if he or she is on the blacklisted.

Ron.

Message 6 of 12
Ron1
Super Contributor

You can get other Amex cards from other banks like Citi, BofA, Barclays etc. You don't have to get a Amex card from Amex. I think you can get them with your scores.

Ron.

Message 7 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

I didn't know. Thanks for your info. They still don't issue a card as a primary if he or she is on the blacklisted.

Ron.

taken from personal experience, they removed me from my fathers optima card when I filed bk.  Fast forward several years and I was adding someone else to one of the accounts (I'm account manager) and the rep did not ask for social and in 10 seconds said the card was approved... so I said oh that was easy, I would like a card for myself too... she took my name and said it's been approved you will have your card in 5-7 days.

you can be au even if your black listed 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ron1 wrote:

You can get other Amex cards from other banks like Citi, BofA, Barclays etc. You don't have to get a Amex card from Amex. I think you can get them with your scores.

Ron.

It's the backdating that's important to me, not having an Amex card. I don't think any of the partner cards are going to backdate.

Message 9 of 12
Ron1
Super Contributor

Wow!!! I didn't know. My brother refused to add me an AU because of that. According to application, you can't be an AU if you have any unsatisfactory account with them. For the last ten years, I tried may things like Amex secured card, pre-approval, pre-selected, app inside Costco. I got instantly denied because of it. Two years ago, my name was removed from the list. I was able to get any card from them. Recently, they offered me extended payment option and Select and Pay Later for my Gold card.

Ron.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.