cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much credit card debt. How to get out?

tag
laruud

Too much credit card debt. How to get out?

So, my husband recently returned to work after a very long unemployment.  In that time frame, we racked up about $5000 in credit card debt(paying bills).  We don't make a lot, only about $1600 every two weeks.  Our have about $2200 in bills, not including gas or groceries.  We have 4 kids, so I can't get a job.  we can't afford the daycare!  My husband works about 60-70 hours a week.  What is the best plan to get these CC paid off?  I would like to only have an emergency one.  Please.  Anyone have any advice?

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Samac
Regular Contributor

Re: Too much credit card debt. How to get out?

Is it across more than one card?
Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a really tight budget.  Can your husband get a second job? Or can you get  job you can do from home to supplement the income?

Message 3 of 33
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

(assuming it's across several cards) First I would take a look at the interest rate and if they are all about the same, start paying if off by the card with the lowest balance. If you ave any cards in 0% intro, I would pay those last.

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 33
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

The good news is, $5000 is not that much CC debt.  I was expecting at least north of $10k when I read the title. As someone else mentioned, if you have 0% cards pay the minumums on those and attack the cards with a higher interest rate.  Even better, if you have the credit scores try to move the higher rates to a 0% card.  The more detail you provide the better we can help (how many cards is the debt over? what are the % rates?, what is your credit score?, what cards you currently have that may have 0% offers?) 

Message 5 of 33
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@laruud wrote:

So, my husband recently returned to work after a very long unemployment.  In that time frame, we racked up about $5000 in credit card debt(paying bills).  We don't make a lot, only about $1600 every two weeks.  Our have about $2200 in bills, not including gas or groceries.  We have 4 kids, so I can't get a job.  we can't afford the daycare!  My husband works about 60-70 hours a week.  What is the best plan to get these CC paid off?  I would like to only have an emergency one.  Please.  Anyone have any advice?

I guess the best bet is to make a list of the cards, with the interest rates you're paying. You may have more than 1 interest rate, since the rates for purchases and for cash advances are different. Put the highest interest card at the top of the list, and the lowest interest card on the bottom.

Then, pay as much as you can towards highest interest account until you have it paid off, and pay minimum payment + $5 on each of the others.

Then when you get the top one paid off, work on the next one. And so on.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that your root issues are only going to be resolved by sitting down with your spouse and creating a budget. You said that you take home $3200/month, but you pay out $2200 in bills - that leaves $1000 a month for food/gas/other(laundry detergent, paper towels, soap, etc.) or approximately $250/week. Although possible, its not much to live on (ESPECIALLY for a family of 6!).

1) Create a budget showing your cash inflows and outflows and stick to it. If you are proficient in excel you can expand your budget to reflect income and expenses over an extended period of time such as a year. You can also chart different categories historically for your spending habits in those categories, and set specific spending limits for those. Our biggest pitfall is eating out! It is going to be much easier to stay on budget if you say you can spend $250 a week than saying you have $1000 a month.

2) I would then attack your recurring bill side expenditures. I would have hoped you would have already done this seeing that your husband was already on unemployment, but a second look is probably in order. Slash out any excessive items such as cable/netflix/newspaper. Many times cable and even cellular phone companies will lower your bill by calling and threatening to cancel.

3) If you have multiple credit cards with balances - have you taken payments to those cards into account with your $2200 in bills? If you are, is it just the minimum you have calculated to pay? If this is the case, I would suggest a loan consolidation at a local credit union. They will normally have reasonable rates and are usually willing to work with your situation.

Its great that you reaching out to figure out what to do in your situation. Since your husband isn't home much, you have the lead in determining how quickly you get out of debt. I wish you luck!

Message 7 of 33
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That is a really tight budget.  Can your husband get a second job? Or can you get  job you can do from home to supplement the income?

With 4 kids and DH working 70 hours (commute time not specified) I'm guessing there's no extra job in the future.

OP please list out the cards, balances, limits, APR. I am skeptical there is any easy way out of this.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 33
pip3man
Valued Contributor

$5000 in credit card debt is absolutely nothing at all... when I saw ur caption was expecting something like $40k... with proper cash management and budgeting u should be able to pay that off within 6months. Good luck

Message 9 of 33
red259
Super Contributor

If you have multiple cards make sure to focus on paying off the highest apr card first. If you have a card that will give you a 0% apr on a balance tranfer then I'd move anything with interest charges over to that card. Stop spending on credit cards until you are current. A high interest rate will eat you alive so you need to make sure to be making well over the min payment  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.