Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Balance Is Reported To The CBs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Balance Is Reported To The CBs?

When a credit card company reports to the CBs, it is the balance when the statement closes or balance on the day that they report? I believe it's the balance on the statement closing date but just want to make sure. Trying to keep the balance on cards that I paid down/off low until they report but I'm going to need to use them soon for normal expenses.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: What Balance Is Reported To The CBs?

depends, but most report the same balance thats on your statement

Message 2 of 5
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

Generally it is the statement balance that is reported, but there are sometimes exceptions. For instance, my Discover card did not report at all in July and then reported just a few days ago mid-cycle.

Message 3 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When a credit card company reports to the CBs, it is the balance when the statement closes or balance on the day that they report? I believe it's the balance on the statement closing date but just want to make sure. Trying to keep the balance on cards that I paid down/off low until they report but I'm going to need to use them soon for normal expenses.

Thanks!

Almost always, it is the statement balance.    There are some exceptions, you may want to pull you reporst and verify.

Message 4 of 5
tbolt2
Contributor

I've experienced both. I forget which CC did it, but one reported the actual balance on the reporting date instead of the statement balance from a few days before. At the time the statement cut, there was a pending charge or two that had not posted. Between the statement cutoff and the report to the credit bureau, the items posted.

My suggestion, don't use the card(s) for about a week, maybe longer,  after the statement cutoff, unless you have a CMS and can tell for certain that the CC has reported. Right now I am challenging myself to see how long I can go without using a CC for anything....I paid off several cards at the beginning of this month, paid one big one down by 50%....some of these will not generate statements or report to the bureaus for another week or more.....the anticipation of the potential score increase is driving me crazy....my utilzation will drop from 80% or so to less than 30% an none of the few with balances remaining  will be maxed out.

And no, I'm not anticipating app'ing for anything for at least another year to year and a half when i try for a home loan, i just want to see my score go up Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 534 11/09
Current Score: FICO 652 05/11
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.