cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your opinion on American Express Blue Cash Everyday?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

What's your opinion on American Express Blue Cash Everyday?

I'm wondering whether or not to get it so please post your views on it.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: What's your opinion on American Express Blue Cash Everyday?

@Subexistence wrote:

It is a great card, I had one for a year then I changed it to a Preferred. It's one of the best cash back cards if you use it as your main grocery card and the Amex offers that you can add to the card just make it even better.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 25
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's great for the AMEX Offers and the ability to get a low APR over time.   That card has my lowest purchase APR.   However, the cash back program itself isn't very good.

Your rewards can take up to two statements to post; other programs tend to post at statement close (Cash+, Citi DC, many Sync cards, Blispay) or even once the purchase posts (QS, Barclay).  Also, with BCE you can only redeem in increments of $25.  Other programs have a threshold (i.e., with Double Cash you can redeem any amount over $25) and many have no threshold at all (QS, Discover, Cash+). 

it might be worth to you it if you do a decent amount of supermarket spend, but then you may want to consider BCP in that situation.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

I have it but never use it. Its a downgrade from the BCP which I got before the everyday card came out. I subsequently picked up the everyday card and use that for groccery spend because I like earning points. If I didn't have the everyday card I would probably use the BCE for my groccery spend

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

There are some good things about this card, though they are also true of any Amex: relatively easy to get to a large limit for many people, relatively easy to get a reduced APR over time, and sometimes useful Amex Offers (though IME, only useful on a handful of occasions because most of them are for places I do not shop).

For actual rewards I think the card is average to subpar. You get 3% on "actual" grocery stores only, meaning Walmart and Target are out. Keep in mind that even if you forego the "special" 3% rewards you are probably saving more on many items by purchasing them at Target or Walmart. Don't go out of your way for 3%, shop at a real grocery store, and spend more money for your items. Keep an eye on prices. If your grocery spend isn't huge, a 1% gain (above a generic 2% card) isn't going to add up to much especially when you can only actually redeem in chunks of $25.

For anything that's not a supermarket, the rewards are 2% (gas/department store) and 1%, and you have a clunky reward system which takes a long time to post and forces $25 increments for redemption, basically guaranteeing you'll never cash out all of your rewards (and so the effective rewards rate is probably lower).

I'm really not a fan because I don't feel the advantages outweigh the relative "meh" factor of this card overall, but YMMV.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bcp is better in my opinion. 6% cash back on groceries. 

Message 6 of 25
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

I really like this card.  I do use it for grocery spend (1-2x per week) and I take advantage of the Amex deals. I have rec'd a number of credits taking advantage of the Amex Deals. 

Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like it, I use it for grocery shopping, I shop at Aldi primarily so it works. I keep debating if I should move to the "Preferred" so after the first quarter this year I'll check my grocery spending to see if it's worth it. The "Deals" can be very nice and save you money.

Message 8 of 25
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I think the rewards structure is a bit mediocre and the redemption is difficult. But I really like the card because I found the Amex Offers super valuable last year, I love the early ticket access, and I love how Amex doestrogen authorized users.
Message 9 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Amex Offers, for those that find them valuable, aren't really a feature of THIS card.   You can get them on, e.g. Serve, which doesn't impact your CR at all.

This card was always overshadowed by the Sallie Mae, now that that has gone it has a bit more point, but IMO not a whole lot.  As KDM says, for an extra 1% (up to $6K) over a generic 2%, you have to put up with a very clunky reward system and be mindful that not all stores you might want will work.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.