Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why close cards/combine limits?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why close cards/combine limits?

Generally speaking, I only close cards that have a non-trivial AF I'm not using (side-eyeing my BCP now, giving it another year post move post cooking which god damn it I'm going to do) or otherwise annoy me... like Wally.  

Most recent funsy there, changed my address on the account, disenrolled me from their FICO score monitoring as a result, and I can't re-establish it.  Fail!  To say nothing for the reasons I was planning to close it anyway once my report stabilizes, want that 1 storecard to 0 storecard datapoint someone suggested previously.

Anyway the reason I keep everything else open is there's a portion of the algorithm which counts on oldest account, possibly for bucketing purposes.  As a result, realized I needed multiple tradelines that can serve as anchors if needbe that I can keep as long as possible: I haven't fully decided but I may just keep that dumb DCU secured card forever even if it's sitting on a deposit that's larger than it should be for that gimmick, even if BOFA airstrikes my current oldest open account someday would still have that card though probably my old USAA card will serve just fine for that too.

Hrm, reminds me I need to go PC that BOFA card to the Cash Rewards product.  Something else to do today.

        
Message 21 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.