Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone have success reallocating citi credit lately

tag
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

anyone have success reallocating citi credit lately

Will be closing my united and simplicity card, does citi still do reallocation or am I out of luck.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: anyone have success reallocating citi credit lately

@revvystoke wrote:

Will be closing my united and simplicity card, does citi still do reallocation or am I out of luck.

they 99% don't

you seem to be able to go through EO office and ask for it to be done and they basically take an application for it (My partner was denied for not credit qualifying? the same week they CLI him from $9800 to $25k but not to move CL to a new diamond card they also just approved for $2k)

nothing is more frustrating than being told credit is not good enough to move CL that you already qualified for (the wording they use is just all wrong!)

Message 2 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Citi will reallocate for new account apps, but if you just decide to close one of their cards down, no they won't reallocate.  They recently did this for me on 2 new apps.

Message 3 of 9
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I just did about two weeks ago. I had recently received a credit limit increase, so I reckon that's why they didn't need to pull a credit report. If you get someone who says they don't do it either ask to speak to a manager or hang up and ring again. The manager is the one that has to take information(income and housing) and then submit it to the credit department. She rang me back the next day to tell me that the reallocation was complete without a problem.

@Creditaddict wrote:

you seem to be able to go through EO office and ask for it to be done

I had to last time, because they kept coming back with a no because they only increase every six months. This time I didn't have to and it was done easily. I'm not sure if being Citigold has anything to do with it, but it might have. They definitely aren't as easy as Chase is.

Message 4 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I just did about two weeks ago. I had recently received a credit limit increase, so I reckon that's why they didn't need to pull a credit report. If you get someone who says they don't do it either ask to speak to a manager or hang up and ring again. The manager is the one that has to take information(income and housing) and then submit it to the credit department. She rang me back the next day to tell me that the reallocation was complete without a problem.

@Creditaddict wrote:

you seem to be able to go through EO office and ask for it to be done

I had to last time, because they kept coming back with a no because they only increase every six months. This time I didn't have to and it was done easily. I'm not sure if being Citigold has anything to do with it, but it might have. They definitely aren't as easy as Chase is.

Ok then, you must be the 1% that they will reallocate for haha!

Message 5 of 9
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Closed my bce, united and simplicity card this morning, I asked about reallocation but he said a credit report would be checked, sounded foreign so I didn't bother to ask if it was a sp or hp and just cancelled the card.

Message 6 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@revvystoke wrote:

Closed my bce, united and simplicity card this morning, I asked about reallocation but he said a credit report would be checked, sounded foreign so I didn't bother to ask if it was a sp or hp and just cancelled the card.

Did you transfer the CL's on the BCE and United first?

Message 7 of 9
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@revvystoke wrote:

Partial on both, I tried online with AMEX and they only approved the first $2k transfer, tried a second time and got the 5-7 message. Tried a few weeks ago and got a letter saying I was not approved because of too many consumer accounts (?) and inquiries. Chase wanted me to leave $1k on the United card so I salvaged 3k from it and moved it to Marriott. 

Message 8 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@revvystoke wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@revvystoke wrote:

Partial on both, I tried online with AMEX and they only approved the first $2k transfer, tried a second time and got the 5-7 message. Tried a few weeks ago and got a letter saying I was not approved because of too many consumer accounts (?) and inquiries. Chase wanted me to leave $1k on the United card so I salvaged 3k from it and moved it to Marriott. 

I see.  Sorry about Citi, they seem to be iffy on reallocations. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.