cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Necessity" of carrying a MasterCard?

tag
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: "Necessity" of carrying a MasterCard?

@Anonymous wrote:

imaximous ... many years back there was less cross over in networks (many moons ago) and some of us still remember those days and think we need to cover all the bases with the various networks. In the really old days Spain was big on Maestro (a MasterCard affiliate). Likely a psychological hold over concept (in my case anyway). As a PS ... I was always worried one of the networks would go down and in reality I do not ever recall a total network failure.

I probably misunderstood your comment, but I'm not concerned about having all networks because I think one's going to fail or because I need to have all to be safe. I've been carrying cards for almost 25 years, and I don't recall a network failure that affected me either. But there are a few instances where loyalty or membership plays a role. Costco in Canada takes MC CCs. If I go with a Visa/Amex/Discover card, I don't think I can shop there. I suppose I could go somewhere else and be ok, but that's like telling the Hilton guy to stay at Marriott. Why? I like Costco.

I also like the Yankees and use MC for presale tickets. It's just the little things, sometimes.

I must also add that I only get cards that interest me because of their benefits or rewards regardless of network. The majority are actually Visa. In the same Costco example, when they switched to Visa in the US, we received a TON of offers from Amex to accept a different card since they were killing the Costco card. We declined because we didn't need or want Amex anymore. We can definitely leave home without it Smiley Happy

Message 51 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think I've ever had a MC and I've been just fine.
Message 52 of 62
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

In my experience, MasterCard is promoted in Europe more than Visa. Both are accepted at similar rates. Many shops take cash only. Europeans don't use credit like Americans. But if you want to compete globally you have to.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 53 of 62
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

imaximous ... many years back there was less cross over in networks (many moons ago) and some of us still remember those days and think we need to cover all the bases with the various networks. In the really old days Spain was big on Maestro (a MasterCard affiliate). Likely a psychological hold over concept (in my case anyway). As a PS ... I was always worried one of the networks would go down and in reality I do not ever recall a total network failure.

This reminds me of my experience, also many years ago, late 70's/early 80s.   In the UK, Barclays issued the Barclaycard, what would now be a Visa.   A group of other banks then together launced Access, which would now be a MC.   As a customer of Barclays, I couldn't get an Access card, banks belonged to one group or another.   And they signed up merchants, many of which would also accept one or the other but not both.  (Percentage taking either was pretty small though in those days, people used, what was it? Oh yes, cheques or money, if you youngsters can believe it) .

Since there is a natural inclination to believe everything is the way you know it, I was somewhat surprised when I came to the US to find the bank gave me a choice of Visa or MC  (Yep, the only surprising thing about the US....)   But now things in the UK at least ARE like here, the vast majority of merchants that take credit cards will take both V and MC.  (Unlike here though, much less acceptance of Amex and particularly Discover)

Message 54 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

imaximous ... glad you further explained your focus on the differences you have experienced between MasterCards and Visa. After thinking about it I realize that I have been aware at a subconscious level. Now with this post I am more aware. Went and looked at my Citi DC MC and it does offer some things I take for granted and have used that were not part of the Visa experience. This has been a useful thread and discussion by many Smiley Happy

Message 55 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many years ago ran into some remote areas of germany that were either MC or Visa only.  I would doubt this happen today.  Most 3rd party processors do both MC and Visa 

.  I have been stuck before where either the Visa or Mastercard network was down.  Anywhere from 15 minutes to all day.  This has caused an issue with having to use the wrong card ie high FTF to pay a bill.  That was not fun.    

Message 56 of 62
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

I like this thread.  I'm one that carries one from each network.  Mostly because each card is used (like i'm sure others here) based on the type of spend so I can maximize the benefit of that particular card.

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 57 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

I like this thread.  I'm one that carries one from each network.  Mostly because each card is used (like i'm sure others here) based on the type of spend so I can maximize the benefit of that particular card.

I'm with you, i think 4 cards in the wallet is the best choice. Visa, MC, Disco (only for categories) and AMEX.

Message 58 of 62
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

I'm with you, i think 4 cards in the wallet is the best choice. Visa, MC, Disco (only for categories) and AMEX.

I doubt if that optimizes much for most people!   In general, as so often in cc land, it depends on your spend and your goals.  For example, people into URs might want CSR, Freedom and FU as their most used cards, and that's likely to be three Visas.   There is no reason to think that the best, or even merely good, four cards are going to be one from each network.

Message 59 of 62
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

I doubt if that optimizes much for most people!   In general, as so often in cc land, it depends on your spend and your goals.  For example, people into URs might want CSR, Freedom and FU as their most used cards, and that's likely to be three Visas.   There is no reason to think that the best, or even merely good, four cards are going to be one from each network.

I agree.  Everyone has a different situation so what works for one may not work for the other.

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 60 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.