Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"That which must not me mentioned" to amex

tag
core
Valued Contributor

Re: "That which must not me mentioned" to amex

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay. The way people talk about it, they make it sound like amex will cancel your cards and blacklist you if you say that.

Yeah I too have always wondered why such posts need to be so dramatic, usually making heavy use of all-caps too.  "Do NOT MENTION backdating!  End of the world, aaaaahhhh!"  Yeah, so the average CSR doesn't know what "backdating" means, so what, that can be calmly stated just like that.  The average CSR probably doesn't know what gardening means either but you don't see all caps posts warning not to say that word.  I think some of this stuff just gets parroted back and forth around here and folks forget why they're even saying it.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

They note your account.
Message 12 of 15
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
They note your account.

Really?  Interesting.  Wow that's gotta be some screen they are working with.  I'd imagine each CSR calls up a screen with the following checkboxes:

[ ] Cardholder has paid bill more than once per cycle

[ ] Cardholder purchased booze with Amex card

[ ] Cardholder shops at Walmart

[ ] Cardholder has ever mentioned the word "backdating"

[ ] Cardholder purchased lottery ticket (Level 3 data)

[ ] Cardholder is a 3rd cousin of someone who was once FR'd

(and growing)

That's gotta get old for those poor employees, having to scroll through that whole list checking things off.

Message 13 of 15
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
They note your account.

Really?  Interesting.  Wow that's gotta be some screen they are working with.  I'd imagine each CSR calls up a screen with the following checkboxes:

[ ] Cardholder has paid bill more than once per cycle

[ ] Cardholder purchased booze with Amex card

[ ] Cardholder shops at Walmart

[ ] Cardholder has ever mentioned the word "backdating"

[ ] Cardholder purchased lottery ticket (Level 3 data)

[ ] Cardholder is a 3rd cousin of someone who was once FR'd

(and growing)

That's gotta get old for those poor employees, having to scroll through that whole list checking things off.

LOL

i'm one of them that pays multiple times per month.  If I'm treating a rewards card like debit, I pay it like debit.  And when I did check of purchase power so I could plan for 61 to 90 day cli, it came back well over the CL.  Definitely got me some costco booze last month (gotta meet that min spend somehow).

Signature needs updating
Message 14 of 15
core
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

LOL

i'm one of them that pays multiple times per month.  If I'm treating a rewards card like debit, I pay it like debit.  And when I did check of purchase power so I could plan for 61 to 90 day cli, it came back well over the CL.  Definitely got me some costco booze last month (gotta meet that min spend somehow).

Careful there, sir.  Next year when you (maybe) get FR'd, the Amex cheerleaders are going to search back to this post, pile on, and say "See, he wasn't telling the whole story.  There's always more to the story than they let on."  Well if buying what you want and paying when you want is the Paul Harvey "rest" of the story, then count me guilty.  When someone says "there's more to the story than they let on", the person really means "they weren't using the card like I am".

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.