Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Above and Beyond Credit - Need More Info

tag
felyasocal
New Contributor

Above and Beyond Credit - Need More Info

So I started building my wife's credit when we got married ( and she came to America then so didn't have any credit )

She has excellent credit now. 760 +/- FICO. Very low DTI. Almost no debt at all and pretty high limits on like 4 CCs, Macys Card, and I think Chevron Card. 

I mostly manage her credit (pat my self on the back) and I am really proud of the job I've done. 

Her car lease is almost over (was under my name) and she just got approved, all on her own, for a new lease through VW on a $36K Tiguan SEL. 

I am all smiles, but I don't want to celebrate until I sign the papers =)

My question: How can I expand her credit and take it from exellent to perfect? I know the car lease will incrase her score, but I want to diversify her credit.

I was thinking about taking out a personal loan for her. Don't know the amount, but either something small, like $500, and then pay it off in 5 months. Or perhaps something larger and use it to pay off some of my CC debt. I don't have much experience with that. I am pretty good with managing my credit, but my finance skills are pretty weak. I would be able to build a very comlicated server, but I couldn't answer the most basic % question or anything else

What do you recommend? Does it make sense to do the small loan? Should I do a larger loan? Or any other ideas on how to diverify her credit?

Merci, Gracias, Spasibo, Danku Shon, and Toda Raba

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Above and Beyond Credit - Need More Info

Only do the small loan if you know what you are doing. I believe if you get one, but pay it off in 5 months, you be right back where you started. I've seen in threads on here about getting these types of loans and paying them down to like 9% to get the max points. Then making steady payments when they become due.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.