Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User Accounts

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Authorized User Accounts

I wanted to also send you this email in regards to the recent changes on authorized user accounts that are being reported to the credit bureaus.

All authorized user accounts that are on a individual's credit report will not have the age account history in relation to the original accounts holder's history. Let's say your dad has added you as an authorized user & has had the account opened for twenty years from 08/10/1992. The new change will only report the authorized user's open date from the date that it was added on. So for example if the authorized user account was added on 01/31/2012 then as of 08/10/2012 the account is only 7 months old. As a result a lot of authorized user accounts will cause their score to drop

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Authorized User Accounts

What creditor sent this information to you ? In almost all cases, an AU will inherit the entire account history ( good or bad ) from the point that the card was first opened.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 13
CreditBob
Established Contributor

I was told by someone that is an authorized user as well as a person that is working with a mortgage company. So now the new rules are as follows. it is when the authorized user account was added not the entire age history of the original card holder.

Message 3 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It is up to each creditor to decide how to report AU accounts ~ but in general most AU accounts will reflect the entire history of the account. FICO® scoring also continues to score AU accounts the same as individual accounts.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@pizzadude wrote:
It is up to each creditor to decide how to report AU accounts ~ but in general most AU accounts will reflect the entire history of the account. FICO® scoring also continues to score AU accounts the same as individual accounts.

Ditto.

Just because one creditor might decide to report AU's form the date the AU was added doesn't mean every other creditor will do the same thing. This is definitely a YMMV situation.

Message 5 of 13
FlyingBoat

I just looked at the CrediKarma report for my kids who I added as authorized users. Really dissapointed now to see all the new accounts as being the date they received their AU card instead of the date I openned the account. It dropped their scores significantly. They now have an "F" rating on age of account because I added them to several accounts. It used to not be this way. I am going to need to drop their added cards. I hope it didn't mess them up to bad.

Message 6 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Don't go by what CK posts.  They don't factor the dates the same as FICO does, also they don't factor in the AAoA of closed accounts.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 13
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Why don't you cosign for them or have them start by opening am account at a credit union. My credit union will with a $ 100 limit. Or have them get a secured account. These are great for teenagers that have just turned 18 years old. The reason the changes were made is because the score is there to measure an individual's credit risk or credit worthiness. A score that is just given to someone as a result of piggybacking or borrowing a trade line from another person has no way of doing that. There are some lenders that will not use an authorized user account for those reasons & Chase Bank is one of them.  I also just listened to a segment online a few days ago & fico will not include authorized users by this September. Just look at all the mortgage loans & other types of credit that people have gotten in 2008 or before that should never have gotten them in the first place. Let me ask you this questions. If your son or daughter has nothing but authorized user accounts on their credit profile with Equifax, Experian, & Transunion, then how is the lender supposed to determine what kind of credit risk they may be????    It also depends on who you talk to and what their point of view is on this. I have talked to different creditors, executives in the credit bureaus, & some of our law makers in Washington, DC to which this has gotten their attention. Some of them have expressed the same concern as if you were to compare it to the credit crisis in 2008 where many have gotten credit that never should have in the first place. On a last note it is only a certain time before more changes are made. And one of them includes a compete ban of authorized user accounts being on any credit report with the three major bureaus.

Message 8 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditBob wrote:

I also just listened to a segment online a few days ago & fico will not include authorized users by this September. .................Just look at all the mortgage loans & other types of credit that people have gotten in 2008 or before that should never have gotten them in the first place. Let me ask you this questions. If your son or daughter has nothing but authorized user accounts on their credit profile with Equifax, Experian, & Transunion, then how is the lender supposed to determine what kind of credit risk they may be????    It also depends on who you talk to and what their point of view is on this. I have talked to different creditors, executives in the credit bureaus, & some of our law makers in Washington, DC to which this has gotten their attention. Some of them have expressed the same concern as if you were to compare it to the credit crisis in 2008 where many have gotten credit that never should have in the first place. On a last note it is only a certain time before more changes are made. And one of them includes a compete ban of authorized user accounts being on any credit report with the three major bureaus.

That info could be a little outdated, unless a new round of discussions are at play. FICO had announced in the late summer/early fall of 2008 that they would exclude AUs from FICO scoring. This was in response to the credit crunch and because many lenders were seeing high rates of default from those who engaged in piggybacking. Lenders have input of course on FICO and it was that input that led to the announcement. This was to occur on the latest version of FICO (FICO08 or FICO8 depending on what you call it). However, after a review of the legalities of it, FICO backed off and reverse their decision and re-included AUs on the newest FICO versions. The Equal Credit Opportunity Act was interpreted to prohibit the exclusion of AUs and it was that law that led to the reversal.

IMO, AUs should be excluded. It should be excluded for the piggybacking issue. Also if you stroll in Mortgage Loans board, some have posted their lender would routinely exclude AUs from consideration in the mortgage process, and yet others would ask the borrower-to-be to remove themselves from the AU as a condition for approval.

Message 9 of 13
CreditBob
Established Contributor

This has nothing to do with this topic being brought up in 2008. The truth in lending & other appropriate changes to the authorized users is being considered by the law makers. I do not believe that they have not included the folks at Fico or Myfico because it related to the credit bureaus. In other words Fair Isaac would not have to do a thing because once the law is changed & no more authorized users are on a indivdual's credit profile, then the fico score would only go off of what was being reported. These are new discussions as we are speaking now.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.