Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell phone

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cell phone

Hello Everyone,

I have an old cell phone bill from 2002-03 that was listed to come off my credit report in Mar 09 (haven’t checked to confirm if it did or not).  I just received a letter from Mitchell N. Kay regarding this bill and offering a settlement (I’ve learned not to take these offers). My question is what should I do about this?  I believe the statute of limitations ends after 2 years on cell phone bills which makes me wonder if they have any leverage with collecting?  If that is the case should I call them and notify them of that? If I was to pay this would the clock reset on when this would come off my credit report and/or could that hurt my credit score?   Finally, might I be able to call to pay this collection in return for immediate removal from my credit report?  Any and all information is greatly appreciated.  BTW, I paid another bill through this collector so I wonder if they didn’t target me for other open items to try to collect from me.

Thanks in advance,

J

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cell phone

Never ever never call a CA. Never.

IMO, pull your CR to see if the AT&T is reporting. Also check to see if MNK is reporting too. They are a JDB CA and I too had to deal with them for a AT&T cell bill from way back when. They have been known to change dates to get a baddie reporting longer.

Paying it will not reset DOFD and thus the listing wouldn't extend any.

I personally would DV them.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too recently encountered a similar situation with AT&T.  I have nothing reported from AT&T on my report, but when recently I was at an AT&T store to buy an I-phone, I was told that there was a balance/collection from an old account.  They 'said' they were generous enough to go past that, because it was old and something that may or may not be ours, or some old balance totally forgotten.  So, we moved on with the purchase of the I-phone.  Now I am receiving collection notices for this alledged collection amount.  I know I probably should Dispute this, but should I even bother, since this is just come up AFTER I start new service with them?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally would DV them. DV?
Message 4 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

jpwake wrote:
I personally would DV them. DV?

Common Abbreviations

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you (llecs) for the links to all that information and the acronyms.  I read through all the that information, and while it seems there are specific recommended steps for each situation, depending on whether the OC (Original Creditor) has sold the debt, or still carries it, whether they or someone else reports it .... etc... the odd part of my situation, is that NOTHING was or is being reported.  This mysterious balance with AT&T, that has JUST NOW apparently become a collection, ONLY came up when we walked into an AT&T store to purchase a phone.  The clerk even stated, that it could be a mistake, and by-passed the flag (or whatever) that was on his screen.  If we have not received collection demands before walking into the AT&T store, why and how does that make this even make any sense as a situation that I am required to follow-up on and clarify.  This collection demand just now came up when we made a purchase.  It's not a matter of who owns it, whether we can PIF or not PIF ... etc.  What's the SOL on Cell Phone charges anyway?
Message 6 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Bobinsky...send a DV to the CA and call AT&T and ask if they still own the account. If they do, ask them if you can pay in exchange for not reporting. If they don't own the account and the CA has yet to report, then ignore AT&T and focus on the DV-PFD (or pay for not reporting) route.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the statute of limitations ends after 2 years on cell phone bills in TX can they still collect on this debt?
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you have any unpaid debt then you still owe. 

This is when state SOL comes in. Then you have federal SOL on phones. This means that the OC must file a suit within 2 years of DOFD. (you can't be sued after that).

SOL has nothing to due with CRTP which is approx.7 years from DOFD. So they can report.

Federal law trumps state law.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so would the best thing be to just pay the full amount? DOFD was over 7 years ago.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.