Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Finance Loan

tag
Xev0luti0nXx
Valued Member

Consumer Finance Loan

How much, if at all does having a CFL counting towards your installment loans hurt you?

Message Edited by fused on 03-02-2008 08:11 AM
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Concumer Finance Loan

I cannot say how much it hurts, but from what I've read on other credit scoring websites that having a CFL DOES hurt your scores, as it's viewed as being in financial trouble.

Sorry I can't be more informative. Maybe others with experience will chime in shortly.
Message 2 of 13
Xev0luti0nXx
Valued Member

Wow, alright. I took it out to get some furniture that I could have paid for then and there, but they sold me on their "Well, if you're moving into a new place you should just finance it so you will have the money for other necessities." I'll go ahead and pay that off ASAP and wait a few weeks before pulling my scores to see what getting the Comcast collection off my account does.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Xev0luti0nXx wrote:
Wow, alright. I took it out to get some furniture that I could have paid for then and there, but they sold me on their "Well, if you're moving into a new place you should just finance it so you will have the money for other necessities." I'll go ahead and pay that off ASAP and wait a few weeks before pulling my scores to see what getting the Comcast collection off my account does.

I'm curious............does a closed/paid CFL affect your scores b/c it is a CFL, or any have an impact while it is open?

Message 4 of 13
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

sidewinder wrote:

Xev0luti0nXx wrote:

I'm curious............does a closed/paid CFL affect your scores b/c it is a CFL, or any have an impact while it is open?

From what i have read from my Myfico credit report they still hurt you even if they are closed. They are like collections/inquiries they lessen over time!  Their effect becomes minimal!
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Xev0luti0nXx wrote:
You need to look at your reports and see how it is reporting. Citifinancial and Wells Fargo Financial both report as revolving not as cfl's. If it reports as revolving it is not a cfl and you do not suffer the cfl ding. If the name of the company has the word Finacial in it instead of Finance it may not be a cfl. See above listed examples. It all depends on how it reports.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

sidewinder wrote:

Me too.  I just paid off a account with American General Financial Services (also for funiture).  They report in the revolving section of my TC report as American Geneneral Fin.  In the addresses section they are listed as American General Finance.  What's in a name?  I have a hard time believing that the name itself triggers the reduction in score, there must be a variable attached to CFL's that we can't see.  This will be my second closed account with American General and my scores are all mid to high 700's.  If they are hurting me now, there isn't anything I can do about it. 
Message 7 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The loan company attaches a code when they report, and this code tells the scoring formula that it was a CFL. This code is not viewable on any of the consumer versions (full or abbreviated) that I've seen. I don't know if other creditors can see it, or if they even care.

There is a score ding because it is considered that these loans are gotten by the desperate, which is ridiculous. I got one from Wells Fargo Finance because it hit my mailbox at the right time, and I didn't know any better. At the time, I had a late (well, duh! Smiley Very Happy ), but nothing else, and I certainly could have gotten a signature loan from my CU if I had thought that it would be better. I used it to pay off a CC that had been used for college tuition after an unexpected change in financial aid, and I did so in 8 months instead of the 3-year term. And it's even stupider for such things as furniture payments. Eons ago, when DH and I were first married, we bought a gi-normous china cabinet and paid it off in three months, just to help establish credit.

At any rate, my WFF loan does report as a loan, not as revolving. I haven't gotten any flags on it, because I'm always getting scolded about lates instead. The CFL penalty falls in the "credit mix" category, which is only 10% of your score, and it's a small part of that 10%. I suppose that if it's still on my records when I start approaching 800 --Lord, what a concept! --I might write WFF and ask if they would stop reporting it. But actually, I found them to be great to work with, and I'm grateful that they were there when I needed them. (I do know others are much less happy with Wells Fargo...)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
The loan company attaches a code when they report, and this code tells the scoring formula that it was a CFL. This code is not viewable on any of the consumer versions (full or abbreviated) that I've seen. I don't know if other creditors can see it, or if they even care.

I wonder if the loan company would tell you if they report as a consumer finance loan if you asked?
Message 9 of 13
Dawn
Established Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:...

The CFL penalty falls in the "credit mix" category, which is only 10% of your score, and it's a small part of that 10%.

I have never seen a CFL comment on a report (ours must have fallen off our reports before we ever had access to such reports) but I do know that I would have a negative reaction to one.  My reaction would be similar to the one I have when I see report comments about not enough revolving credit when it is there ... just not coded in such a way as to allow FICO to see that.

Since credit mix is such a small part of the overall score, do the comments about CFLs on scoring reports address the issue of their being only a small part of the score so people can get beyond the reaction and an overwhelming urge to "do something" about it?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.