Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit and Divorce Blog!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit and Divorce Blog!

I have noticed a few threads around here where a debt that belongs to an ex-spouse shows up on your credit report.  My divorce was final about a year ago.  My decree states specifically that that her medical bills are hers and mine are mine.  However, I live in Texas and the wonderful community property laws apply.  She has two collections totaling over $2k and they are both on my report and I am listed as a "co-maker".

I have disputed with all three CRAs.  TU came back verified and a divorce decree means nothing to them.  I am filing a DV with the CA today CMRRR.  We will have to wait and see.

So, what's your divorce problem?  Is is solved? Do you live in a community property state?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit and Divorce Blog!

Just a follow up to my orginal post.  I have indeed had zero luck in using the divorce decree in solving these issues.  The good thing is that they are all medical and HappyDays' HIPPA process is in progress in cooperation with my Ex.  I got sent to the Middle East for work over the past 5 months and the HIPPA process was not mentioned before I left.

I am in the progress of buying a house with my soon to be wife so I hope everything goes okay.

Message 2 of 4
Veee
Frequent Contributor

My ex foreclosed on our house after our divorce, had I known at the time he was going to let it go I would have fought for it, grrrr.  Anyway, the house was left in his controll only and he had a year to get it placed in his name only, never happened but it was in the divorce papers. 

I'm lucky though, it's only showing on EQ and TU, TU it shows as a good account paid and closed.  On EQ its showing the foreclosure marks on it.  I'm riding mine issue out though as it falls off my credit this Dec.

Goodluck to you though,

Veee

Myfico scores as of 11/12/08 TU 750 EX 722

MyFico scores as of 9/20/08 TU 638 EX 663 EQ 691
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a follow up to my orginal post. I have indeed had zero luck in using the divorce decree in solving these issues. The good thing is that they are all medical and HappyDays' HIPPA process is in progress in cooperation with my Ex. I got sent to the Middle East for work over the past 5 months and the HIPPA process was not mentioned before I left.

I am in the progress of buying a house with my soon to be wife so I hope everything goes okay.

A divorce decree doesn't matter one teeny bit to creditors. And really, a divorce decree has no legal standing when it comes to the bills themselves or in enforcing the payment of the bills to the creditors.

But what a divorce decree DOES is give you the legal right, since the bills have been "split" as to responsibility, to sue her patootie in court. You can go with "Contempt of Court" for starters.

You can either bring her refusal to pay her share of the bills in front of the domestic court judge or to small claims court. The DD gives you a legal standing in forcing HER to pay YOU for the money you had to spend in clearing up your credit. If she's been a particular pain in the butt about it, and you can prove that her refusal to pay has severely damaged your credit, depending on your state's codes, you can even ask for "punitive damages."

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.