Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FCRA REQUIREMENTS

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FCRA REQUIREMENTS

Hi, I've been checking out this forum for the last couple of weeks and have learned a lot of interesting things so thank you.  I do have one question though.  I disputed something a couple of years ago that I found on my credit.  I forget what the outcome was but when I pulled my credit reports about 1 week ago, I see that this account show up with the following statement attached "account information disputed by consumer, meets FCRA requirements"  Can anyone tell me what this means? Can I get it removed?  Thank you.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FCRA REQUIREMENTS

was this on CR or CR from monitoring service........I have TC and it always shows something that I have disputed. although it is not in dispute now.    I have never seen it on a new CR
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was on a credit report directly from the cra
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It might just mean that it was disputed in the past. what is the drop date?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This means the acct is still coded as "in dispute"

This can work for or against you-

Yes- call the CRA and dispute the disputed status.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy - can you give us some examples on when "acct in dispute" can help us or harm us?   My first concern is how does it affect the FICO score?   And when is it good to leave it there?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy,

Thank you.  I guess it works in my favor because I disputed it about two years ago and basically they haven't verfied it.  Is that correct?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure-
For the exception of Public records and collections:

IF the TL is coded "Disputed" it is not calculated in your FICO score- It will calculate for UTL if it is revolving.

I will stress that doing this to improve your score can easily fail -

Example- I just had one of these- My current mortgage I disputed the 2 30 days late payments with EX and they got removed from EX and EQ but not TU.

I called TU and they were removed from TU as well BUT- it was left in a dispute status and cost me 30 points until the dispute status was released. I had to Dispute the Dispute status- I ended up having the mortgage company call to release it.

@Anonymous wrote:
Timothy - can you give us some examples on when "acct in dispute" can help us or harm us? My first concern is how does it affect the FICO score? And when is it good to leave it there?

Message Edited by Timothy on 10-06-2007 10:48 PM
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy,

Wow, I didn't realize this!  I have quite a few of these that have been disputed a few years back.  When I pulled my credit a few days ago, I see that a lot of accounts show, disputed by consumer.  I just thought that was like a statement that was going to be attached to the file until the file fell off.  When I dispute the disputed status online with the CRA, do I just check the other field and  explain that I feel it should be removed since it has never been verified?
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

(Bump)

Tim,

If I wanted to dispute online with the credit bureaus, can I use the other field and explain that the "customer disputes account information" has been attached to certain accounts for the last 2 yrs and therefore should be deleted since it hasn't been verified?  Thanks
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.