cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If disputing triggers a fraud alert and you want to remove it ASAP...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If disputing triggers a fraud alert and you want to remove it ASAP...

I called Transunion through truecredit and they gave me this info--maybe you guys will find this helpful

Fraud Victim Assistance:
800-680-7289

enter zip code

press #2

say yes

enter your transunion Dispute file number

talk to a representative

give SS, address, name, etc.

Tell them to remove fraud alert.

They said it should automatically update all three: EX, TU, EQ

Althought TU is my lowest score, I have to say I think TU has the best customer service of all three
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If disputing triggers a fraud alert and you want to remove it ASAP...

Hi Rifleman,

There seems to be a disconnect here because lodging a dispute and placing a fraud alert are two entirely separate processes.  I don't see how disputing anything on your CR can automatically "trigger" a fraud alert.  You have to call a specific number to place a fraud alert (and I did it just last night). 
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually disputing will not trigger an alert, but it sometimes does. Disputing any personal info (such as names) or debt info such as accounts that are "not yours" can trigger fraud alert--and this happens especially with Experian
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a seven year fraud alert that I NEVER requested. Its a pain in the butt.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed true. I have a Extended Fraud Alert, that I did not request, initiated by Equifax. It all started with a inquiry I disputed with a creditor who called TransUnion, who then placed a 90-day Fraud Alert without my request, which Equifax followed with the Extended Fraud Alert.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you write to the CRA, provide evidence of your ID, and ask them to remove the FA?  Or would this be too reasonable a request for them?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This has happened to me. I disputed with experian and a 90 day fraud alert appeared.
Will this work for me to remove the fraud alert if it is through EX and not through TU (I don't have  a file# )?

Also, I stupidly applied for a credit card and was turned down on one of the easiest to get. Could this be becasue of the fraud alert placed on my CR? If so, does it help to remove it then re-apply?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.