cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it bad to open more than 1 card in the same month?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I was just recently approved for a chase freedom card, my second credit card. Before that, I've had the discover card for 1 1/2 year.

I want to aqquire at least one more card before I start to garden my credit score, and was wondering if I should wait a few months to apply for one or try it right now? My FICO is 780, I just wonder if they would approve me being that I just opened a chase card, or if it would significantly lower my score as it would appear I'm looking for too much credit.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it bad to open more than 1 card in the same month?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

I was just recently approved for a chase freedom card, my second credit card. Before that, I've had the discover card for 1 1/2 year.

I want to aqquire at least one more card before I start to garden my credit score, and was wondering if I should wait a few months to apply for one or try it right now? My FICO is 780, I just wonder if they would approve me being that I just opened a chase card, or if it would significantly lower my score as it would appear I'm looking for too much credit.

Thank you!

Applying for two credit cards back to back won't hurt you much, if any.

Message 2 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW I always open accounts in groups; while it's a larger negative in the short term, in the mid and long term you come out ahead especially when we're talking thinish file like yours.

        
Message 3 of 9
jamie123
Valued Contributor

It's personal preference to an extent.

Your scores will fall a bit further with 2 new credit cards but will be stronger in a year compared to getting 1 card now and 1 card 6 months to a year from now.

It's kind of like taking off a Band-Aid. Some people like to rip it off quickly and feel all the pain at once, others like to peel it off slowly and have less pain but for a longer time!

I rip mine off quickly!.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

With a score like yours, it's better to get them both knocked out and out of the way.  Your score will take a minor hit (probably around 5 points, more like less than that).In a few months, you'll score will easily surpass the score priot to applying, and probably by a significant margin.  With a score like that, too, your very likely to be approved.  Of course, other factors also depends such as income, payment history, balances and utilization.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

With a score like yours, it's better to get them both knocked out and out of the way.  Your score will take a minor hit (probably around 5 points, more like less than that).In a few months, you'll score will easily surpass the score priot to applying, and probably by a significant margin.  With a score like that, too, your very likely to be approved.  Of course, other factors also depends such as income, payment history, balances and utilization.

Agreed!

Message 6 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It all depends on one's credit profile and the next creditor reviewing one's credit.  One person's credit profile might only support a single new card.  Another could support multiple.  Further, creditors have varying underwriting criteria so one credit may take issue with a person opening X cards in a month while another might not.  It's never just about the action itself but one's credit as well.

@Anonymous wrote:

My FICO is 780

Even knowing your FICO we can only guess.  I doubt it would be an issue for you.  However, keep in mind that it's never just about score.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

FWIW I always open accounts in groups; while it's a larger negative in the short term, in the mid and long term you come out ahead especially when we're talking thinish file like yours.

That is what I also do.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm inclinded to think you should apply with your present score. And decide on what two cards you really want. 

Use a site like: http://www.creditcards.com/   (Mod Cut-These sites have not yet been vetted)

Then once you've deliberated on the two cards you really want based on your situation whatever it might be from balance transfers, low %, travel etc., then in 2 browser windows, I would go to those two card companies and fill out the applications completely. Simultaneously hit apply 1 after the other, and then wait for your approval. 

But of luck on your credit building journey. You have a great score now. Protect it, nurture it and let it flourish!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.