Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Loss & Damage Control

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Job Loss & Damage Control

I would definetly SUE the roommate for 50% if his name is on the lease.  If not and your son has it 'in writing' that he would pay 50%, I'd SUE.

What about the option of the apartment being re-rented? 

These checks need to be taken care of ASAP though.   Just a thought...does he have any items to sell on eBay to raise funds? 

Good Luck to all!
Message 11 of 17
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Sylviatob wrote:

Need I say welcome to adult parenthood! lol

Tell me about it  Smiley Sad
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 12 of 17
Dawn
Established Contributor

Latest update ... he has cleared Nov and Dec charges with the apartment and gave his two month notice today. 

Since he has to pay for that two months whether he stays or not, he's staying for that amount of time.  Then, he will still owe almost two months' rent for a re-letting fee and repayment of the first month's free rent special they took advantage of. 

They really anticipate being able to re-rent ASAP, so there shouldn't be any additional charges other than damages.  There are some sheetrock repairs that my husband can make and we can have DS repaint the walls.  The carpet is another story though ... I'm thinking it's going to have to be replaced.  :-(

He's not wanting to even try for another room-mate ... says he doesn't trust anyone anymore.  I don't blame him.  As it is, we haven't been able to figure out what to do about the electric service.  The room-mate ran off with the electric bill that was set up by the room-mate in his name (but he added DS's name to it.)  When we called the provider we thought it was with, they insisted they couldn't find a record of the account.  The apartment is checking to see if it has rolled back over into their name.  I hate to think that there is an electric utility account out there that has DS's name on it and we can't even track it down.  This other kid left owing several other people money and a maxed out credit card that was not being paid on.  I don't think he cares one bit if DS's credit is impacted by an unpaid electric bill.

I left him with enough cash to clear his checking account, put gas in his car, some food in his belly and a promise to send him an accounting of what he has depleted from his car fund.  Smiley Wink

Hopefully, he will get a job ASAP and not need the extra boost for long.
Message 13 of 17
Dawn
Established Contributor

Sylviatob wrote:
Honey, trust me when I say, I am waging the same battle as you.....just on a different front. Smiley Happy

Need I say welcome to adult parenthood! lol

A friend of mine emailed me a "Crankshaft" cartoon the other day (I don't know the characters) ... the woman was lamenting about "Max" and talking about getting his own apartment now that he had graduated from college.  She had hoped she wouldn't have to worry about him anymore.  The man says, "Being a parent is a life sentence."  Smiley Wink
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Truer words have never been spoken. I'm serving 2 concurrent life sentences LOL
Message 15 of 17
Dawn
Established Contributor

Sylviatob wrote:
Truer words have never been spoken. I'm serving 2 concurrent life sentences LOL

LOL ... Mine's X3 ...

My life just gets more and more interesting.  I just found out that my  younger daughter's boyfriend was mugged last week after someone rammed his truck to get him to get out.  Took his wallet and sent him to the ER with a concussion and other injuries.  This is all just too much excitement for me!
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good grief! How much interestingness can you stand? Not supposed to be this way at Christmas time.

I pray he recovers from his attack.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.